re grenfell tower fire question

And 18th Edition Amendment 1 will introduce requirements for emergency ligh ting to stop people falling down stairs in darkness from the false tripping .

18th Edition Amendment 2 will require all telecoms equipment to be supplied through UPS so that people can call 999 on their cordless phone after they 've fallen down the stairs in darkness from the false tripping but not upda ted their installation to Amendment 1.

NICEIC will introduce a new mandatory course for members "Plugging in a UPS ".

The Scottish Government will require all fridge-freezers in rented accommod ation to be inspected annually by an accredited electrician ... oh hang on, they already do.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

So why use a broadcast medium?

Can we not do that here?

Reply to
Huge

In message , at

02:13:40 on Sun, 25 Jun 2017, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com remarked:

All of them, or just the ones on a landlord's inventory? If it's also ones supplied by tenants (as appears to be the case in most social housing, according to people posting here), how do TPTB know which flats need inspecting?

Reply to
Roland Perry

Simples.

It'll be assumed that all address's have one or more of fridge or freezer or fridge/freezer. The inspection authority will be able to obtain a warrant to search any property they suspect may have an unregistered fridge, freezer or fridge/freezer. The inspection authority will also write annual threatening letters to any address that doesn't have a current record of the precense of an inspected fridge or freezer or fridge freezer. It will be up to the householder to obtain, at their cost, an Inspection Certificate from an accredited Inspection Provider. Once obtained the housholder will have to pass the certificate details to the Inspection Authority, this will only be able to be done online. Failure to submit the certificate details will result in an automatic, non-contestable, fine. Not being able to use the online submission service will not be a valid excuse for not submitting the certificate details.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The 18th edition draft makes a brief mention of them, but gives little indication of when or how they would be used. It basically (at this stage) allows for their use.

(I will post the draft text in another thread)

Reply to
John Rumm

only class Bs believe that ....tee hee

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

worth doing it anywhere .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

But would a casual inspection show a fridge freezer or tumble drier etc is likely to catch fire?

Bit like saying a car with a fresh MOT won't break down.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think the warning is in the name HOTpoint .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

In article , Jim GM4DHJ ... writes

Didn't Beko have a similar problem not long ago?

Reply to
bert

yes wouldn't touch a Beko anything .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

social

which

address

householder

I suspect most "eletrical appliance" fires are damaged or otherwise abused cables and plug/sockets rather than an actual fault with the appliance(*). Just like most things failing a PAT on the visual inspection rather than what the box says when the button is pressed.

(*) Note "fault" not "poor design".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There were some Hotpoint fridge/freezers a few years ago that apparently had a problem with the wires that went out to the doors, they would chafe, or something. Ours was similar, but not of the exact range that suffered from the problem.

Reply to
Davey

That might apply to truly portable things - but fridge freezers and tumble driers?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

otherwise

pressed.

Why not? Plugged in via extension cable and/or multi socket plug stuff dangling in the space, things gradually corrode/work loose, high resistance, heat, fire...

You, I and most people in here wouldn't do that sort of thing but great many people haven't a clue about electricity.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

These were newly refurbished flats. With, I'd guess, enough sockets for the normal kitchen stuff - and in the right place. I

It's mostly AV and computer stuff that ends up on extension leads. Kitchens tend to be much better in that respect.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Other than new windows and possibly new heating, was anything else done inside the individual flats?

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , at 07:41:08 on Tue, 27 Jun 2017, Andy Burns remarked:

The former galley kitchen and lounge were converted into a kitchen/diner. I'd be surprised if they didn't also have new bathrooms.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Hopefully as they spent ?70k per flat compared to ?50k next door.

Reply to
bert

I thought they'd had new kitchens and bathrooms as part of that refurbishemnt. At 100 grand per unit, I'd hope so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)