Re: Glass fibre flat roof.

I can understand this for situations where boiling tar is the next

> substance to be applied, but does this work with fibreglass resin? > Would the resin soak into the black bitumen surface as is needed to > make what is essentially a composite roof? >

Highly unlikely even with untreated wood. All wood will shrink and move a lot more than the fibreglass, so any 'bond' wouldn't last very long, but it's not important.

I assume that we really have to take the film off, unless that > dissolves in resin. I can't seem to find any manufacturer's data > sheet about this Metsa board, just brochures that say it's wonderful. > I could only inspect the boards today in half-light as I didn't have > the key to the shed, but the black looks like more a matt paint than > any sort of bitumen I've ever seen. > > As is obvious, I haven't ever done a roof before. > > Because the roof is 4 feet wide and it's all we could find locally, we > have bought the 8x4 sheets rather than the 8x2 t&g that seems to be > suggested. I assume this means we have to allow for expansion at the > edges, but I don't really understand how this works as we then bond > the whole lot solidly together.

You don't need to allow for expansion, just nail or screw the boards on, apply the fibreglass and forget about it

Reply to
Phil L