Re: foolproof coax tv plugs?

I'm sure I used to be able to get TV coax plugs to stay on the aerial

> lead....but I'm finding the harder I try the worse they get: > rotating, coming loose and now I'm even getting the inner bit sliding out of > the cable.. > > So please can someone direct me to a foolproof way or diagram to do up > these plugs? I appreciate this is probably a noddy question but i can't > explain why they just dont work for me any more, perhaps I've forgotten some > trick. > thanks > >

Here is a guide -

always also solder the inner lead to the tip of the plug - this ensures a good connection and also helps secure the plug - but if you do this,be careful to only heat it for just enough time to solder the tip of the wire or the heat will melt the plastic insulator.

Dave

Reply to
logized

I'm sure there will be plenty of advice on this. My extra bit is to say that I prefer to solder (or crimp if applicable) the centre conductor. Very often, one of my first tasks when I stay in a hotel, is to fiddle about with the short coax lead from the TV to the wall socket. Almost invariably, the inner conductor copper has tarnished a little, and ditto the plated centre pin of the plug, and they don't make very good contact. It may take years to happen, but eventually the signal WILL deteriorate as a result.

HTH

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

on them.

Here's one that shows how to do it properly, the one true way:

All other methods are wrong :-).

BTW there are much better alternatives to the old Belling-Lee type plug available nowadays, such as these

in the UK are available from Webro. You do need the crimp tool though...

Reply to
Andy Wade

Not the way I was taught - at the BBC. ;-)

The braid should be twisted into a wire and wrapped round the inner under the clamp - one full turn. The plug insulator then pushes it against the bottom of the crimp when it's tightened.

Unfortunately I bought 1000 of them off Ebay. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That method's quite common, but certainly not as good (IMHO) as the one shown on Richard Mudhar's megalithia site. The latter gives a better braid connection and maintains a higher screening factor. It used to be shown on the BBC 'engineering information' web site, before it became the current somewhat dumbed down 'rception advice' - so there is clearly disagreement within the BBC (nothing new there).

Reply to
Andy Wade

I don't see how - the braid will be maintained right up to the insulator in the plug doing it my way - and well within the metal body.

In any case, most TV UHF cable braid is pretty rudimentary. If using a decent UHF cable system, you wouldn't use Belling Lee plugs...

Ah - I was taught that method rather before the days of websites. Or indeed colour TV. Or UHF, come to that. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was thinking about this last night - what would the performance be like if the download is terminated with an f-type plug and connection into equipment via a f to belling-lee connector? Would there be an insertion loss from the f-bl connector such that it would outweigh the benefit of using an f-type in the first place?

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

Screening-wise, almost certainly better, especially with a decent crimp F-connector (e.g. Cabelcon).

Insertion loss as such would be negligible, but some F - adaptors have quite poor return loss figures (high SWR) which could lead to mismatch loss and standing-wave ripple effects. In practice you're not likely to have a problem in the UHF band, but in the upper part of the satellite IF band (up to 2 GHz+) choose your adaptor carefully.

Reply to
Andy Wade