Re: "Flashing Lights" - Read when not eating

>It a hand held TV detector and I claim my £5.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I feel a mixture of great sadness for the bombing victims, and incredulity that anyone responsible for procurement did not have the devices thoroughly tested.

Perhaps corrupt payments played a part.

I would hope to see Jim McCormick go on trial - in Iraq.

Reply to
dom

The whole business of arms dealing is so big and unpleasant that there must be corruption. After all Thatcher's son Mark was involved. Say no more? According to a radio 4 report it seems that the man had put in cards that were nothing more than RFID circuits and said they configured the devices for a particular task. Trouble is, arms is a significant part of our export trade. Anyone know what percentage?

As you say the poor squaddies and Iraqis who get blown up that deserve justice.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com" writes

Stick him in the middle of a minefield and let him see if his device will get him out

Reply to
geoff

The real tragedy is that I didn't think of it first

Reply to
geoff

"Last night it was announced that Lord Mandelson had asked the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills to ban the export of the ADE 651 device to Iraq and Afghanistan. In a statement the department said: "The reason the ban is limited to these two countries is that our legal power to control these goods is based on the risk that they could cause harm to UK and other friendly forces. "

So they can only ban the sale in countries where Brits ( Brit Forces that is ) might be affected .Other Brits and other folks don't matter .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Couldn't Trading Standards withdraw the product from the market or stop it being sold under Trade Descriptions Act?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not if the sale takes place abroad outside jurisdiction.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember " snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com" saying something like:

Be a most unusual arms deal if not.

I'd pay to see that.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

But do the army have a 1km radius area anywhere that has absolutely no explosives in it?

"ATSC's sales literature claims that the device can detect minute quantities of explosives from 1km away on land and up to 3km away from the air. "

Reply to
Matty F

The correct procedure is to place Mr McCormick in the centre of a minefield with his choice of his own products.

Pete Shew

Reply to
peteshew

Keep up at the back there ...

Reply to
geoff

Reminds me of the oil sniffing plane scam

seems to be making some sort of comeback

not the only expensive explosive divining rod

of U.K used to be `defence` related, as mate used to say , he worked for Ferranti, its the attack industry don`t make many defensive items.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Guess with this sort of kit buyers don`t have to live with the shame....

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 20:23:10 -0800, Matty F wibbled:

Another one against the MOD - that sounds about a useful as being able to detect that a gnat had a piss in a lake last Tuesday.

You are more likely to want to detect a minute residue at close quarters (eg clothes, fingers, of some dude you just brought in) or a bloody big concentration of explosives in a 100-odd metre range (eg there's a mine ahead).

Can't see the point of what they're claiming, apart from as you allude to, it makes negative testing rather more uncertain.

Reply to
Tim Watts