Re: Faulty shower - seller's solicitor is at it

But fred, this is what I mean - how much was the house? What percentage of the house value, approximately, is £85?

To me, this is no different than going to buy a £1000 TV and haggling over a 40p discount. It just doesn't make sense.

The way I see it, some things, some situations, are worth fighting for. Other are not.

Reply to
Grunff

It's not a fight mate, it's a chat. I reckon 85quid is worth having a chat over, others appear not to.

Reply to
fred

Figure of speech. It's all about context - in relation to what your friend paid for the house, it is trivial, and not worth pursuing.

On the other hand, say I'd purchased a random orbit sander for £85, and it stopped working after a week, I would request a refund.

Reply to
Grunff

Agreed. The reality is that very small claims are just not worth the candle. Your leisure time may be less costly to you than what your employer gives you but it _is_ more than zero.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

If you were talking about the boiler clearly not working at the time of sale but it was when you surveyed or looked over the place, and you are talking 1000's to put right. Then it's worth getting sorted out.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

You've got it in one, "The systems clause does not provide for a safety element to this item and as such . . . . .". In other words, we don't care if it kills you, as long as it heats the water a bit (at all).

Thanks for your informed input on all points, I have found a source for the parts and have agreed to fit them for a small liquid lunch consideration. He sensibly regards pursuing the issue as too much effort against too little potential gain.

Your warning of other lurking nasties is noted and I have already found and quietly fixed a couple.

Reply to
fred

A lot of solicitors introduced that some years ago on their own initiative when someone bought a house with beautiful sockets everywhere but no wiring connecting them. (Or so I was told)

Reply to
EricP

lol! That must have been a shock. But if the sockets werent defective...

Seriously, its the buyers reponsibility to find out what theyre buying. would you spend 150,000 on something without checking it? I know I wouldnt.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Indeed, and this is possibly going to get more common with Part Pee. Isolated sockets would not be part of the electrical installation, they would be decorative fittings.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

An excellent point!

It might still be a workable scam.

/me remembers to take a box of Toolstations finest patresses and sockets to MILs next week to prepare her 50's hovel for sprucing up.

Reply to
EricP

Why pattresses? Just flush 'em into the wall with wet plaster behind.

Remember you can do the same with taps and wastes for that new en-suite too.

Owain

Reply to
Owain