Re: Combi-Boiler Choice- ?Alpha any good

I think you are probably onto to something. This might account in a bizarre way why many of us find ourselves exhorted to do things a certain way (regardless of economics, customer expectations, practicalities, the laws of physics, ...), whilst we are told that design calculations should be left to 'experts'.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

If you mean me, I am a maths man. I give pointers here.

Most installers do rule of thumb installations. The only thing they may calculate is the rad sizes from a scale rule. A one size fits all boiler they buy, so no need to do that either. Balance it? Fully open downstairs and half open upstairs and put TRVs all around to get them out of jail. Most do things a certain way because that is the only way they know. Or "we always do it this way", which is typically British. Hence foreigners laugh at our outdated poor performing plumbing and heating systems.

Very little innovation in heating and water systems came from Britain. I can only think of the thermal store (in the modern sense) in 1985 and the unvented cylinder in 1863, which Britain only adopted in 1986. Condensing boilers, combi's, system boilers, instant water heaters, alloy tubed heat exchangers? Nope. All Continental.

Reply to
IMM

Kind of like a cell.... multiplying and dividing at the same time....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think that's very rude of your overseas guests. Was that because of the combi in every room in your house, or they kept on banging their heads on the forced air ventilation system?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

IMM

Reply to