Re: Aga temp problem?

No doubt IMM will delight in this one..

> > Oil fired new aga, after 18 months suddenly - or possibly gradually - > running cooler and cooler according to thermometer. > > The electrical stat seems to be working - I have stuck it manually on > 'overdrive' but it still is running at idle basically? > > Any ideas before I call in the engineer?

Sadly, the only solution is to throw it out. get yourself something decent and efficient.

Reply to
IMM

- I think this is the second time I've agreed with you in as many weeks. I'm really starting to worry.

I know Agas have a massive following, and that people love them to death and swoon over them, but I find them to be horrible, loathsome things.

Reply to
Grunff

Yea this one isn't even self cleaning! ;-)

Anyone know the efficiency of an oil fired Aga?

Reply to
CJ

Keep walking, further down the road to Damascus you will be fully enlightened.

I couldn't agree more. The sort of people who buy them are the sort who voted for Britain's best house the other night. That house? Never in a million years. In my mind I never even considered it wondering how it was even in the final. then it won. Or did the gay community all vote for those two old Queens.

Reply to
IMM

How would you measure efficiency anyway? On my gas one, the steady state burn rate is about 700W. We have a conventional flue exiting through a special ridge tile. By the time the flue enters the roof space it is almost cold so almost all of the heat is released either by the appliance itself or the flue within the envelope of the house. In that sense there is very little waste of heat during the 9 months of the year when heating is required. In effect this amounts to heat that the CH does not need to provide.

One can argue, therefore, that from an energy efficiency perspective, this is a better scenario than the typical, poorly insulated oven and hob arrangements that require the user to open the windows and waste the heat because of overheating of the kitchen.

I would expect the oil fired unit to be similar from the perspective of what is released into the room, but possibly slightly more through the flue since AIUI oil flues run hotter.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You have one too? Oh my God!!!!

And in summer that is what you don't want.

A heat recovery fan is the way for that.

Reply to
IMM

The way I see it there are two efficiencies involved:

[1] The efficiency with which the Aga converts the fuel's energy to heat.

and

[2] The efficiency of the way in which this heat is released into the house.

I suspect (but have no numbers) that on [1], an Aga will come a little, but not by much, lower than a high pressure oil boiler.

As for [2], it'll depend a lot on the time of year, as you point out. In the colder months, the heat output into the room is a useful contribution to the CH. In the summer, it's a PITA.

I would guess that overall, Agas would come in as being a bit less efficient than a cooker/CH setup, but not by so much that it would cause anyone to worry too much.

What I object to is that they're high maintenance, difficult to clean, extremely expensive, and take up an inordinately large amount of space for the functionality they provide. I'll stick to my oil boiler and fan oven ;-)

Reply to
Grunff

I've never made a secret of that.

It's of no consequence.

Only if you want to put the heat somewhere else in the house.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Reasonable.

I don't see why, particularly, but OK.

That depends on the size and design of the house. It never causes us a problem.

I disagree on most of those points.

Maintenance on a gas burner is once a year and is an easy DIY job for the competent. On an oil one every six months, but AIUI many oil burning appliances need that interval as well so it comes with the turf.

Cleaning is really easy. The majority of things cooked in the ovens are done so either covered or at a low temperature where there is not splashing. In the roasting and baking ovens, splashes are carbonised relatively quickly and can be swept out. The enamelled top can easily be wiped or better, cleaned with a steam cleaner very quickly and effectively. There is no messing around with caustic soda and other chemicals.

There's loads of functionality. Apart from the flexible and excellent cooking there is the ability to warm crockery (I believe that serving hot food onto cold plates should be a capital offence), warming ingredients, drying herbs, warming clothes, airing clothes and caring for sick animals. My cats, who spend 23 hours a day in front of the Aga in the winter would also suggest that it's a pussy magnet.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

About 90% at heating the kitchen :)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Deal.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Even in summer.

Reply to
IMM

For the cost of an AGA you could have gone on cruise.

Reply to
IMM

Yes the oilways and the burner pot are blocked with carbon from a slow build up as the hot oil degades.

No 6 months is the proper service interval.

If you have your Aga serviced professionally new wicks are usually fitted each time. This is overkill , a set of wicks can last for several years. They are only really necessary to light the burner and get it to vapourising temperature.

If you have not got a manual I suggest you get a copy.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

I went on a cruise once in 1963, it was vile beyond belief. You would enjoy it pronably. I bet you go to Butlins every year.

For teh cost of the Aga I could have gone on Safari. Never mind. I'll go anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Did the ship have sails?

Ever seen the new cruise ships?

Never been. I believe they are very good and the "villages" are top rated with superb service, facilities etc.

With an AGA

Reply to
IMM

Is that just the sort of maze like tray that the oil pours into before getting vaporised? That's not hard to clean...

Frankly if its a mornings job, I'll just shut the thing down and do it.

I'll take that as read.

Yes, which is why I thought 'can't be that'

Where from?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can do both. However I wouldn't choose a cruise or any other form of vacation where somebody else does the organisation. From bitter experience I only trust two people to make my travel arrangements - one is me and the other is an excellent person at a business travel agent that I have used for 20 years.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

or "I can't do it but the Aga can".

The Aga can..... Oh, never mind.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Any of you lot ever dismantled & moved an AGA.? I dismantled our gas 4 oven a few weeks ago as the kitchen was being rebuilt. Took lots of piccies at the time but any advice & tips for re-assembling in a few weeks time would be most welcome. Toby

Reply to
Toby Sleigh