Re: After fitting a bottom entry cistern valve - i have a drip - Help!

Should there be a washer on the copper nut thing that i tighten up to

>the plastic pipe or not? - I didn't look to see if there was one before >so without taking it back off i don't know.

Yes, there should be a washer. It is probably a 15mm tap connector washer. It is probably attached to the old valve. You should get a new one anyway, as the old one will be manked.

Be very careful with metal tap connectors on plastic tails, it is exceptionally easy to cross thread.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I'll get another washer then take it apart again.

I noticed as i was connecting the tap connector on that it was starting to go on cross threaded, i didn't tighten it much before i realised that was the case though.

thinking about it i hope that's not the cause of the leak otherwise i'll be buying another complete unit again :-(

Reply to
Chris

I used some silastomer sealing compound when I had a minor leak from the threads surrounding the pipe to the WC. Has the advantage that it sets under water, and it's been leak-free for many years now.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

No, what you need is a reddish fibre washer about 1.5mm thick and 2mm wide,

15mm inside diameter. A good ironmongers etc should have them (or BES)

-- John Stumbles

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

-+ Load dropped, paperwork completed: job done.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Tap connecter washers are fibre redish in colour,not the same as a tap washer,buy a tube of fernox silicone sealer that may get you out of trouble with your misthread

Reply to
Alex

I bought a pack each of 15mm and 22mm fibre washers from Focus just yesterday. Any of the big DIY sheds ought to have these on the racks, you just search around the plumbing area.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Had a similar problem with mine, took it off and put some ptfe tape on the threads of the inlet assembly and it's been drip free since.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Job's all sorted now, many thanks to all those who replied :-)

Reply to
Chris