RCD to protect hedge trimmer

Not an absolute no no after all most RCDs fitted to CUs are passive they trip and stay tripped in the case of earth leakage but if there is a "normal" power interruption they don't need your intervention when the power is restored (think of your fridge & freezer). An active (non latching) RCD is a better choice for power tools etc. because the tool won't start up unexpectedly when the power is restored.

Reply to
Graham.

I bought a 2 gang RCD socket from Screwfix (code 3133J) to replace a 2 gang socket in the garage which I use to power the hedge trimmer. Once I got it home the installation guide says that as it's latched it's 'not suitable for outdoor power tools and garden equipment'.

Is it an absolute no-no? If it is, can anyone suggest an alternative?

So if I'm using a hedge trimmer, which needs two hands holding down two switches to run, there's no problem unless there's a power cut and I remain holding both switches down with the trimmer resting on my leg as the power is restored...

It will offer the exactly same electrocution protection that you will get from any other type of RCD. So in that sense its fine, and massively better than nothing.

However it does not have a NVR style action - so if there is a power interruption to the socket (e.g. power cut or the circuit being turned off) power will automatically be re-applied to the tool after the power interruption is over.

RCDs designed for tool use will not re-supply power after an interruption, regardless of the cause.

(in reality, with most tools you need to "hold them on" on anyway, so its a moot point).

Reply to
John Rumm

Pretty much, yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed. But it's a bit odd how an RCD became linked to this particular use - you could apply it to a latching MCB if you wanted overload rather than leakage as the basis for the device. In fact, all it really needs if you are concerned is a latching relay which will need to be reset after a power failure - nothing to do with overload or leakage at all, just a specific device made for that purpose. But I guess that would be an added cost.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Do you not have RCD protection on your CU?

Reply to
ARW