How to terminate low voltage wiring

I'm replacing my thermostat wire and I noticed HD has a nice BX 18ga non-UL (!) thermostat wire which would do very nicely for the exposed portion but how do I go from the BX which would normally terminate in a standard box to (say) the thermostat where the cable just comes in the back--no clamp, nothing. IOW the thermostat is not set up to take low voltage BX and I don't think any of them are (based on my non-scientific survey of HD). What am I missing here? It's definitely labeled "Thermostat wire".

FeelFree

To say anything you want.

Reply to
FeelFree

Most LV Stats iv'e seen have a back plate that allows it to be mounted directly to any 1-gang device box.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Hmmm, might be able to do that although the instruction manual says nothing about mounting it on a box. But isn't there some rule (code) that you can't put low voltage wiring into a box that might be used for 110Vor 220V? Even if I did that at the thermostat end what do I do to connect it to the transformer? No box there (except for the 110V part); it's all out in the open.

FeelFree

To say anything you want.

Reply to
FeelFree

No. You use a single, stand-alone box like you would any outlet or switch and bring the LV wires into it in the same fashion you would a 14/2 romex.

Typically thermostat boxes are mounted sideways at 60" but that's not a code just a recommendation.

Low Voltage and other non-power systems are always runinto standard boxes. (Their own, of course) Like CATV coaxial wires, telephones, built-in room speaker volume controls, etc. At the transformer it usually just stubs out of the wall, because the transformer is not usually located somewhere you'd want the installation to be "pretty." You can, however, be anal about it and terminate quite a few feet of thermostat wire inside a 1 or 2-gang standard box recessed in the wall near the transformer, and after the "finish" (Sheetrock, spackle tape & paint) cover with a 1 or 2-gang blank cover with a single grommetted hole. Pull what slack you need through the hole for the connection to the transformer / heating equipment.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

OK, I'll give it a go. Thanks!

FeelFree