RCD (groan) orientation...

It's been, oh, at least a week since the last RCD question so I thought it about time for another...

Can anyone tell me whether or not the 'orientation' (in terms of wiring up) of an RCD matters if there are no 'Live In/Out, Neutral In/Out' markings to indicate? I'm talking live/neutral on the left/right as opposed to swapping mixing in/out on the top/bottom.

I have taken a picture of the shematic of my Beko RCD at

and, as you can see, it has four terminals 1-4 and the test button. Obviously, 1+3 should be the inputs and 2+4 the outputs.

However, does it matter whether 1 or 3 is used as the live input (with the corresponding output on 2 and 4)? Does the wiring of the test cicuit dictate the proper orientation? Or some other factor?

I ask because I wish to use it such that 1/3 are live/neutral in, and

2/4 are live/neutral out. This would allow the 'protected' MCBs to be run on the left of the RCD on a busbar connected to terminal 2. The current orientation is the opposite of this (i.e. 4 is the protected live out).

Thank you for getting this far in what is likely a simple question heavily disguised in my ramblings...

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton

The orientation shouldnt matter in my opinion but, you may wish to post your question here for a second opinion

ElectriciansForum

It probably doesn't matter as long as the RCD does not have an earth connection. (It will matter for RCD's with an earth connection.)

The busbar itself may not be reversible -- some have a large or differently positioned lug for the incommer device than for the circuit devices. Also, you will need to be very careful about relabelling to avoid confusing the next person who comes along.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If it mattered they'd be marked as such.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So you think you can't get an answer here? Then why read this group?

But all you read it for is to post ads for your site...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 10:28:06 +0100, "ElectriciansForum" strung together this:

Well, you can guess what I'm going to say.

Reply to
Lurch

The orientation is very important, see here:

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

No earth. As Dave said, if orientation did matter it'd be marked as such - I should've thought of that first rather than go simply go off how it was previously connected (notwithstanding the fact that the instructions may have mentioned it).

My busbar will be okay, however advice heeded regarding clear labelling.

Thanks,

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton