Rayburn efficiency?

Quite easily. It uses a long flue path to extract the heat down to an effkux temperature up the flue of about 35C.

With CH water running at higher than that, even in a codensinng boiler, more heat has to go out of the boiler flue than the aga flue.

The ONLY thing that marks boiler efficiency is how hot the exhaust gases are when they leave the house and go through the insulation.

That and the initial combustion temperatures, which are fairly similar in both cases.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nope. All the fan blown ovens I have had generate a hot draught out of a vent somewhere.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

At twice the initial cost for the electricity, even on overnight rates.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Are you suggesting that fan ovens discharge the hot air from the oven into the surroundings? I don't think so. I only have experience of one fan oven and it certainly does not discharge hot air into the surroundings. If it did why wouldn't the surroundings (kitchen) temperature tend to rise to the temperature of the oven and the kitchen be filled with oven fumes? What is wrong with this equation?

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

Gave up on bicycles years ago but my milk float gets me (and large and heavy loads) from A to B very well. For some odd reason it has the added advantage that the roads are rarely busy when I use it and I always have clear space ahead.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Of course it is, a print will do just as well. If on the other hand you find the works of JJJ compelling and have a deep desire to own one only an original will do. People buy Agas for similarly subjective reasons such as style, social cachet etc not for objective ones such as their ability as cookers.

I don't deny they have character. I have owned many devices with "character" over the years and been very glad to see the back of most of them.

If you buy them for their looks or as a status symbol or for any other reason unrelated to cooking you are absolutely right.

If you got an installed central heating system as well as an Aga for that price you would be right.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Provided that A and B are not too far apart and it was charged up the night before? ;-)

That I can imagine.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You're wasting your life, Andy, he's not going to believe your experience.

I do, but I believe my own experiences and have had run ins with those who don't believe me. That's their problem.

Interesting though that they then expect us to believe what they say which is based on their own experience ...

Of course it isn't, I do it. But that's just my experience so it must be wrong :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That was true of my old eye-level oven but that had lots of space above it behind a grille. My new under-worktop built in oven has a fan to circulate hot air round the oven itself and a second fan that draws air over the casing and out the front. The latter keeps running for some while after you turn the oven off.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Interesting thread this. To get back to the start and answer the OPs query: thought I would add to my first thoughts - all the above I would still say, but I would add - "on the other hand by all means keep the Rayburn if you really really want to as a few people seem get really hooked on them and you too might appreciate whatever it is they get out of them inspite of the high running costs (but I can't see it myself!)".

cheers Jacob

Reply to
owdman

I certainly get steam coming from the grille at the back of my cooker when the fan assisted oven is on. It's not sealed.

But I get a lot more from the door opening when I open the door, presumably because it's being blown out :-)

There was always some steam from my gas oven when I had one, there was an opening on the hob to allow it to escape. It's no bigdeal, is it? I don't wantmy oven cooked food to be steamed or pressure cooked.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

WRONG. It's also the volume and composition of exhaust gases (latent heat), plus losses to the heated space caused by any ventilation required by the boiler.

Do Agas condense water out of the exhaust gases to recover latent heat? I think not!!!

Plus the required vent (sized for worst case operation) and the required draught diverter do a nice job of draining warm air out of the room, THAT is why the exhause gases are cool!

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Wrong. It's for all of those reasons.

Does your milk float have character? :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not since they built the new bit with Primark in. Rumours of feral haggis roaming through the Forthbank former military buildings are so far unconfirmed.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Obviously, if one is going to make a habit of setting fire to the sleeves, one would be better going for the £10 ones.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

So far as I know they have been spotted in Mattelan in Coatbridge

Reply to
Ophelia

Might be a good time for you two to take this embarrassing old rubbish to e-mail.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Not when set against a much larger, objective and measured body of evidence which contradicts it. Only a fool would do so.

I don't expect anyone to do any such thing, some are too silly to understand that.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Oh indeed it does, all bad - and I look forward to the day when I can either modify it to make it more efficient and give it a suspension system or trade it in for something with suspension.

Its great advantage is partly artificial, nulabor has decided it needs neither an MOT nor road tax which given the small mileage it does is very useful and partly that there is no practical alternative. I occasionally need to move bulky and heavy objects locally. The purchase and running cost of my milk float makes it very much cheaper than any other alternative. It is also a pig to drive. Given my requirements this latter deficiency is (just) acceptable.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I'm surprised they don't have suspension.

I always thought that the point of an electric milk float was so that they can go around in the wee small hours without waking people up. However, with no suspension, one would think that the bottles would rattle.

Not even a pickup truck?

Hmm... I didn't know that it didn't need to be taxed.

What kind of licence do you need and what about insurance?

Reply to
Andy Hall