Rayburn efficiency?

That's why there are so many dead owners.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What would you suggest?

I'm assuming that you're a cook and know what you're talking about ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's what I do. I wouldn't want the thing sitting there eating fuel up all the time.

Yup. I use an "ordinary" cooker in the winter too, when the range isn't ready for the job.

This is so - however, some people actually like having them (some people like to be seen to have them, it must be said!).

I've an electric kettle, and a microwave as well as a "normal" cooker. I think that's it. Oh, no, I've a "breadmaker", too.

I've been thinking about a nice range cooker and a gas boiler, it must be said. There are considerable attractions to that!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Not very much it won't, I have one in my headers and it gets very little junk mail indeed, less than one a day at the moment.

Reply to
usenet

Its a gas New World Debut 500 - cost =A325 second hand about 15 years ago - perfectly adequate for all cooking requirements of a small family. I'd suggest something similar. Cook quite a lot. Am fan of Marcella Hazan's italian stuff, and E David, Jane Grigson and the very wondeful Delia. Got Nigel Slaters "Kitchen diaries" for christmas - looks good. Do a lot of preserving and have just finished the last of the damsons. Looking forward to marmalade making - I use Delia's simple process. Have a microwave (bought between house moves) but don't use it much except for reheating. Gas bill about =A39 per month (cooking only - rest of house electric or solid fuel).

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
owdman

ago - perfectly adequate for all cooking requirements of a small family. I'd suggest something similar. Cook quite a lot. Am fan of Marcella Hazan's italian stuff, and E David, Jane Grigson and the very wondeful Delia. Got Nigel Slaters "Kitchen diaries" for christmas - looks good. Do a lot of preserving and have just finished the last of the damsons. Looking forward to marmalade making - I use Delia's simple process. Have a microwave (bought between house moves) but don't use it much except for reheating.

All that says a lot.

Sounds high to me, for just cooking. Mine's not much more including hot water, central heating and two fires. I cook ALL our meals and preserves of all kinds. We don't have a microwave from choice, no electric kettle ...

Perhaps a 25 yo cooker needs replacing with a more fuel efficient one.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ooops no its =A39 per quarter - I just checked, last bill was =A38.64. Thats more like it!=20 What do you cook on Mary?

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
owdman

Hot air, I should think, and lashings of it.

Rec.cooking, uk.f+d.m, etc. are elsewhere...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Our tank doesn't have any form of reading on it - do you mean just marking the tank, turn the Rayburn off and see how much has been used? I thought of doing this and didn't think it was a particularly accurate way of going about things (am more than likely wrong on this count) - have looked into oil usage meters but they seem quite costly as we don't want to monitor the usage long term

Financially we can cope with the current costs - however we don't have money to burn so would like to make what we have as efficient as possible. Not sure what you mean about filling in the blanks - we have double glazing in all bar two of our windows - the front of the house has three largish windows (about 3ft x 6ft each) which are double glazed. The loft is inaccessible - and is something we need to do something about.

Reply to
Helen

Useful tip for Aga owners: keep the ovens filled with kindling and firewood to dry it out nicely. Then if you need a cup of tea in a hurry, or a fry-up, you can whip out into the garden and light a cooking fire between 2 stones, with lovely dry fuel. Much quicker than waiting for the stove to warm up, and more fun! Toast is better this way too.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
owdman

It depends where I am.

At home in the kitchen I cook on a 90cm Rangemaster, I think it's called. Five gas hobs in four sizes (one fierce wok type), electric fan assisted oven, electric slow oven, electric grill (which I don't use much). It's the best cooker I've ever had. And believe me I've had a lot.

The best one I've USED was a solid fuel Stanley. That belongs to a daughter.

In the caravans I cook on two small bottled gas hobs and sometimes on a charcoal firepot. In a tent I have three bottled gas hobs (two sizes) and the charcoal firepot and sometimes I use a very small mediaeval clay firepot. When in one of the caravans I also sometimes use a gas fired barbecue - in which I make bread, meringues , cakes etc as well as the more commonly barbecued foods. I have one of those at home too but don't use it much because I have the indoor cooker. In another tent I have cooked for both of us for eleven days in Iceland on a larger clay firepot. They're so controllable and versatile ... and don't use as much fuel as an open hearth fire butI have used those.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh don't bedaft!

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Have you had your kitchen extended mary??? It was very small when I visited:)

Reply to
Ophelia

Mary, I've always thought of you as an Aga type of person because of all of the additional creative and inventive things that one can do with one.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Helen, the main heat loss elements of a house are the loft and the walls normally.

If the loft is inaccessible (has always been inaccessible?) then there will be no insulation and that represents a fairly substantial heat loss. It would be very sensible for you to fix that with some insulation of 200-250mm thickness.

How about the walls? What material are they? Are they solid or with a cavity? If there is a cavity, then putting in cavity insulation would also make quite a difference.

If the house is in an exposed position, then this increases heat loss further.

I would suggest focussing on these areas first because I think that you can potetnially make a bigger difference there than with the cooker.

Reply to
Andy Hall

There's no room in our tiny kitchen :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It makes a huge difference.

Draught proofing is vital.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That was why I was so surprised when you mentioned what cooker you have now. I was surprised it would fit

Reply to
Ophelia

Approx 50% I understand. Don

Reply to