Rating appliance V timer plug

Enquiry from my son as dads know everything :-(

Would it be safe to use a 2 KW heater plugged into a 1.8 KW timer plug? The heater has options for 1250kw / 750kw or both, one option could be to disconnect a switch maybe.

What do you reckon?

Reply to
ss

I've never seen a timer plug rated less than 13A. However, I wouldn't want to run one a max load for long, even so. TBH, I would consider an immersion heater timeswitch.

What's the type of heater, and why the timeswitch?

Portable heaters on timeswitches can be a really bad thing, as people can put things down too close or on top or move them when they're off, and then they come on when there's no one to smell the burning.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Quote... "I've a 2kw convection heater; And a timer plug - but it says its rated max 1.8kw"

Its a count down timer so that it cuts off after so long max 1 hour.

Reply to
ss

Andrew, you have perhaps had a sheltered life - at least when it comes to these things. Lots of timers and their near cousin the radio remote socket, are built with 10amp relays rather than the marginally dearer 16amp models. Although it is mentioned in the destructions - I feel is is bad practise as there is no fuse to limit the current to match the relay rating. Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Again, that's a feature included in some immersion heater timers.

As a countdown timer needs someone there to switch it on, that is probably less of an issue than a timeswitch. You might be able to disable the "both" setting.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Truth is timers arent always safe at their rated current. The only way to find out for sure is run it a while and see if it gets hot.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

A series cap is another option