Raising an asphalt path slightly

We have an asphalt path from our door to our driveway, with 2 short steps. These steps have an edging that is a couple of centimetres higher than the asphalt, and my wife had a nasty fall on the edging yesterday. In the long run we should take the steps out and turn it into a sloping path (it's about a 20 cm drop in all over 4 meters or so), but can we just even it up with asphalt or is that too thin to actually adhere?

Thanks Doug

Reply to
Doug Weller

=================================== For such a small area you could use bagged tarmac from B&Q etc. You could use it direct from the bag (suitably warmed) or use a bonding agent (probably need a builders' merchant for this) to help it adhere. It won't be an ideal solution but it will be adequate for pedestrian traffic. It will need to be at least 1" thick but more will be better. Rake it out to required thickness and roll well with a garden roller or tamp it with a heavy steel tamper. One half of an Acrow prop will do as a tamper if you happen to have one lying around. Wipe the roller or tamper frequently with a parafin soaked rag to prevent sticking.

cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Thanks. I think you've put me off. :-) I'd really like to have the whole path rebuilt as a sloping path. Although then with ice...

Doug

Reply to
Doug Weller

================================== Well, you asked for it! Seriously though, a concrete path with a ribbed surface in a herringbone pattern is the probably the best way to get a safe and durable path. The herringbone pattern will ensure that water drains away before it has a chance to freeze.

If you're not already aware of it, have a look here for some ideas:

This is generally regarded as the bible for all kinds of surfacing.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Reply to
Bypass

I notice that it is frequently quoted and recommended by posters to this DIY group and I have never seen any criticism of it so that suggests to me that the advice it provides is reasonably good, professional and accurate.

If you have doubts about the site (with which I have no connection) then this group is a good place to express those doubts in the interests of keeping this group well-informed. That's why groups like this exist - to provide a forum for all shades of opinion.

I believe that the site itself also invites constructive criticism so you might contact its authors to question their expertise and advice. I'm sure they would welcome any contribution you might make to help them improve their site.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero