rainwater harvesting and pumping

I always set those up with only a very small difference between valve-open and overflow though, never enough to put a big bending load on the tank or valve-body. In this case we have a completely submerged ball on the end of an arm (read lever), the mending moment will be large. Given that modern tanks are not made of galvanised steel, but polyethylene, and the valve bodies could be plastic too....

Isn't there some other kind of level-sensing valve?

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Well you probaly would not be able to use the washing machine so a loft tank of water could eeked out for the loo by flushing sparingly.

G.harma

Reply to
damduck-egg

The pressure vessel acts as a buffer on the system, so the pump stays off if you only take a little water (I have a water feature that automatically tops up from the irrigation system, this needs a little water often, so the extra buffer the pressure vessel provides means the main irrigation pump does not start every time it draws some water.

It also means if the system is up to pressure in the cold, then it get warmer, the expansion that will occur will be absorbed by it, just like a sealed central heating system.

Reply to
Toby