radiator not working

one radiator in my home is not working. the pressure is fine and all the other 7 radiators are ok. thought it could be the tvr but the pipe coming in it is cold also. can anyone pleasre help.

Thank you very much.

Reply to
helen

TRV, airblock, or sludge blockage. Or much less likely, its on a separately controlled circuit.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If one or other radiator valve is turned off, the supply pipe *will* be cold - because there will be no hot water flowing through it to make it hot.

If you suspect the TRV (not TVR - that's a car ) try removing the thermostatic head and check whether the little pin is free to move up and down. [It could be jammed down in the OFF position]. If it *is* jammed down, tap the side of the valve with a block of wood in order to try to free it.

Reply to
Roger Mills (aka Set Square)

-> Heating -> Cold radiators

(one possibility is that your rads may not be properly balanced)

Reply to
a2z

The message from "helen" contains these words:

The TRV could be the problem and is to my mind the most likely cause unless your system has been drained down recently and an airlock introduced on refilling. If the TRV is stuck firmly shut then the hot water cannot reach the radiator.

The other 2 causes I can think of at the moment are that the radiator is full of air or there is so much sludge in the system that a pipe has become completely blocked. Bleed the radiator and if water comes out air is not the problem and if the water is clean sludge is unlikely to be the problem either. Don't forget to check the pressure after bleeding.

If the TRV is the culprit a gentle tap with a hammer on the metal body of the valve when the valve is supposedly in the open position could solve the problem. If that fails you will need to remove the actuating head and address the pin underneath but note that there has been at least one report that I can recall of a leak being caused by overenthusiastic attempts to free a stuck pin.

Reply to
Roger