Rack Bolts - need long key

Because of the way that a door frame has been built, I need an extra long key to work a rack bolt (a good 4 or 5 cm longer than usual).

It's the usual star type key.

I thought that maybe if I could buy a foot length of the star rod material I could cut it to the right length, and then simply bend a small handle into it.

Only trouble it, I've got no idea where I might buy the rod. Anyone know?

Thanks,

P.

Reply to
Paul Ockenden

Do you mean Torx? If so you can get Torx drivers, or if that's still not long enough try Torx hex bits and use an extension bar

RS won't sell to individuals and are rarely the cheapest ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Probably easier to weld a short length of steel bar to your existing key. If you haven't got access to a welding machine your local garage workshop should be able to oblige.

Reply to
DIY

If the star refers to Torx, these are used on cars and available as fittings for a socket set so can be used with extensions in the usual way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

> Though RS won't sell to individuals and are rarely the cheapest ... Half right. RS have been selling to individuals for at least 13 years.

Reply to
Huge

They sell - mail order - to anyone with a credit card. You simply have to register.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the key is made out of brass, it may be sufficient to extend it using a piece of brass tube and a soldering iron. I did this a few years ago with a mortice key and the result never broke in service. I got the tube from a model shop.

Reply to
Simon

> Though RS won't sell to individuals and are rarely the cheapest ... Oh dear! I'm obviously not the only one to have fallen foul of RS and their difficult to use website!

I was taken to task over this yesterday!

(At least it's nice to know I'm not the only one!)

Is the star shape you're looking for to fit a Chubb bolt? It sounds like some that I've used in the past.

In which case its a splined brass rod (not Torx) and others have already posted solutions that sound good to me!

A Happy New Year to all!

Terry

Reply to
Terry