I have been quoted =A34000 for the following job,

Supply and fit Worcester Bosch 35CDi Combi boiler.

Remove old combi boiler, brick up old flue. The new boiler is to go in the garage, directly below the room in which the old boiler currently resides so there will be some minor pipework to bring down the DHW, CH in and out feeds and the water mains feed. The gas pipework goes past the new location so there is no great work involved there.

I have done some research myself and actually got the quoting company to confirm that there are no factors that make the job complex.

Am I a bit "out of touch" or is the price a bit high, I know I can get the boiler and associated flue equipment for =A31500 VAT inc and that is without a trade discount, that means the actual work is being charged at =A32500.

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
howardnicholls1963

that's /wayyy/ over the top. couple of days, couple of people, £500 to £800 max for fitting. absolute top whack. for example: new install, 1 x combi and 5 rads in a flat with concrete walls. quoted £3300 we've said no more than £2500 and he's well up for it. 2 blokes, couple full of days work, parts will run to about £1000

Reply to
.

That sounds like a British Gas type of quote.

Shop around, you can get it done MUCH cheaper.

Reply to
Flash

I will be getting more quotes in, the quote in question was not BG, I didn't bother getting one from them as I thought they would be too expensive!

Thanks for the reassurance that I have not turned into Scrooge and I am right to question such pricing.

the garage, directly below the room in which the old boiler currently resides so there will be some minor pipework to bring down the DHW, CH in and out feeds and the water mains feed. The gas pipework goes past the new location so there is no great work involved there.

to confirm that there are no factors that make the job complex.

the boiler and associated flue equipment for £1500 VAT inc and that is without a trade discount, that means the actual work is being charged at £2500.

Sounds very high to me. I had a combi fitted last year for £500. That involved dismantling the old cast iron boiler, knocking a hole for the flue, moving pipes etc. For the £500 (cash) I got an experienced plumber and his son (went on like Max and Paddy, but got the job done). I already had the boiler, which I picked up cheap when a Caradon Mira (aka Ideal Boilers) showroom was closing. All in - about a grand.

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason

The message from "H" contains these words:

You're /always/ right to question pricing. Either 'cos it's too high, or too good to be true. It's rare to be spot on.

Reply to
Guy King