Quietening a mini diggers' exhaust note

No, he's quite wrong (I couldn't be bothered, but if he's going to be such an arse over it...)

If the engine has a large valve timing overlap, then effective gasflow becomes dependent on the exhaust design - so it would matter. This overlap also make running rough at idle, and often makes the engine hard to cold-start, especially for a hand-crank start. So the sort of engine we're talking about here has very conservative cam profiles. And a 4-stroke with a soft cam really just doesn't care what sort of old plumbing you hang onto it.

If it were a two-stroke, then there would be more risk of exhaust mismatch. Cylinder ported two strokes inherently have large overlaps and highly-tuned motorbikes may be incredibly sensitive to their exhausts. Then he'd have a point.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

gasflow

Total bollox, go and put a highly baffled box onto an engine expecting a free path and you will strangle it.

You said 'put any exhaust on' that is what I'm, taking issue with, you are simply wrong.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

gasflow

Its remarkable what expertise is found in this group.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Or not....