Quick generating question - biomass and coal

I visited Kingston power station when I was at school. It was remarkable how so much heat could be produced by what seemed a very thin layer of coal on the moving chain grate. The coal was originally transported by barge but I think the barges had been replaced by lorries by then. It was also surprising how seldom smoke was visible. I was told that they only made smoke briefly during startup. The cooling water outlet significantly warmed up the Thames - which was very welcome when rowing nearby in the winter.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

I couldn't remember the details. I was offered a job at Marchwood Labs to look at oil burner design, but nuclear seemed to be the future.

Reply to
newshound

Every day is a school day. :-)

Thanks