PVC Tile Panels - just say no!

Had a job early this week to completely replace a corner shower. Remove old tiles & replace, fit new enclosure.

Pressure was to return the shower to use as quickly as possible, so instead of tiles I decided to use PVC panels in tile effect.

theory a good idea. 820mm x 1900mm solid panels, stuck to walls with a corner bead. Simple, quick, easy - not.

First problem, the panels are incredibly fragile, prone to splitting on the moulded grout line. I was double careful in transporting them, but one still split - luckily just where it was going to be cut anyway. Fluke.

Second problem was getting the edge of the panels into the corner trim - bloody nightmare, such a tight fit. Took me hours & hours to get them to fit in, inch by inch using a slim knife blade.. The panels were covered with a protective film which peeled off 'tile by tile' which also took ages.

I reckon it actually took longer than tiling & grouting the walls - and was much more expensive.

Customer was delighted with the job, the panels do look very good.

I will never, ever use the bloody things again though!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

> In theory a good idea. 820mm x 1900mm solid panels, stuck to walls

We've had a similar problem, but with a cubicle & tray. In theory there was

50mm to play with...in reality not a 'snowball in hell's chance'! No matter how we jiggled with it (the cubicle that is), it was having non of it. In the end, we had to opt for an 850cm enclosure instead of the 900cm supplied. The suppliers response?....."Oh, you must have had a 'rogue' tray.....sometimes they shrink more than expected during firing".

Bloody hell, what are Quality Control paid to do?

Don.

Reply to
cerberus

> In theory a good idea. 820mm x 1900mm solid panels, stuck to walls with a

Customer will curse you when the surface print wears off, and the rough finish due to cleaning it means its a nightmare to get even half clean. Just say no indeed.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

>>> In theory a good idea. 820mm x 1900mm solid panels, stuck to walls with a

I used some polystyrene backed 300mm tile panels on a project where condensation was an issue. They were dead easy to use, but a little expensive.

Reply to
Stuart Noble