Putty - limit on length?

Kitchen window used to use softwood beading along the bottom lip. o Used to as the beading was removed re bit of rot in the endgrain o The qtr-round beading sat on a thin-lip, which had a part removed o Thus there is no longer a perfect flat base for the beading to seal on

Q: Is a 38" wide window too long to use (fresh) putty on?

Found a source for stainless 2.5" hinges: o Horizontal-hinged window hinges were seizing/dropping o Steel replacements seem to seize the same & commonly sloppy o Brass L-shaped require quite a bit of effort re window/frame profiles o Drop in stainless 62x40mm replacements at

Unusual source, other DIY or Chandlery places didn't list them.

Now if only it can stop raining for 5 minutes. Sigh. Need a new sub-group uk.d-i-y.with-scuba.

Reply to
Dorothy Bradbury

What an awful format to write such poor grammar on.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

In message , Dorothy Bradbury writes

No, not as afar as I know, we certainly had larger panes than that.

Personally I'd recommend trying 'long life Glaziers Putty' (it's what Unibond call it anyway) which comes in a sealant type tube. softer, much easier to use (IMO) and can be over-painted in a day or two.

As sold by your local DIY emporium.

Reply to
chris French

Great, thanks for that.

Thanks, will take a look.

Reply to
Dorothy Bradbury

o Some people prefer bullet points o As for grammar, I tend to abbreviate USENET posts re bandwidth

Not everyone has broadband, and this is uk.d-i-y.

Reply to
Dorothy Bradbury

Not at all. I've done many longer runs than that. However, you do need to put in a few glazing brads, to hold the glass in place.

Has it been raining while I've been away then?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Noted, I pulled out some old rusty ones & put in some fresh galvanised ones.

*blinks through a face mask & snorkel* :-)

Thanks.

Reply to
Dorothy Bradbury

stuff this 'long life' putty considering that ordinary putty lasts at least 150 years (if the paint cover is maintained).

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

In message , nightjar writes

It wasn't even worth buying an umbrella for

Reply to
raden

Oh Maxie!

Reply to
IMM

I'd avoid brads, sprigs etc as they tend to be the starting point of future deterioration in the putty - or cracks in the glass in the worst case. If you really need to hold the glass in place use sprigs or whatever but only temporarily - pull them out when the putty has gone off enough to hold the glass, and make good the hole with more putty.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

This is your first post. I would like to help but I just can't force myself to work on code breaking these days:

Kitchen window used to use softwood beading along the bottom lip. o Used to as the beading was removed re bit of rot in the endgrain o The qtr-round beading sat on a thin-lip, which had a part removed o Thus there is no longer a perfect flat base for the beading to seal on

Q: Is a 38" wide window too long to use (fresh) putty on?

Found a source for stainless 2.5" hinges: o Horizontal-hinged window hinges were seizing/dropping o Steel replacements seem to seize the same & commonly sloppy o Brass L-shaped require quite a bit of effort re window/frame profiles o Drop in stainless 62x40mm replacements at

Unusual source, other DIY or Chandlery places didn't list them.

If you want people to take time to read your stuff you aught to pay them a little more consideration.

You'd be better writing off-line in Notepad or somesuch and then posting it, if time constraints are dropping your quality control.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

While d-i-y is evidently not Dorothy's forte, she's a fund of technical knowledge in other areas. Her style of posting may not be everyone's cup of tea but it's worth tolerating for the times when you may benefit from her help further down the line.

Reply to
nog

Anyway, Dorothy's post was perfectly understandable, Michael just seems to being picky for the sake of it

Reply to
chris French