Pulling out of a purchase before exchange

"MM" wrote | I've always been waiting for the Govt to come up with a new Office for | Effluent, or OfEff.

To judge by the dismal service I experienced in the local council office this week, I think the clerk had been on a pilot programme run by Higher Education For Failed Adults Learning Useless Mundane Procedures Slowly.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , MM writes

Mike,

If you dont want to buy a house, you merely tell them, with no obligation to give a reason.

However, it is useful for an agent to be able to give the seller a reason, and your reasons seem fair enough, ( for you ).

Having read most of the thread, I am not sure whether you are looking for some reassurance that your concerns are minor, and that it is OK to buy, or whether you are looking for reassurance that you shouldnt buy.

In my experience, if it doesnt feel right, dont do it. Once bought, there is no backing out, and you may live to regret not listening to your instincts.

Whatever you do, make a decision fast, so they can get on with selling it elsewhere, and you can get on with looking elsewhere.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

I can't make any final decision until I receive the results of the enquiries from my solicitor. The results from the local serach have come back and there is nothing in them to be worried about. But my solicitor raised a number of points with the vendor's solicitor some ten days ago and still hasn't received the answers. I am chasing them up. The general consensus is that there is no 'conspiracy' in any of the points I had concerns about, but merely the slower pace at which business is conducted when one is away from the hustle and bustle of the south-east.

Whatever. I am moving out tomorrow anyway and will be living in temporary accommodation in the target area. I shall therefore have ample opportunity to look at other properties before I get to sign the contract.

MM

Reply to
MM

On our last move, one of the standard questions our solicitor asked the seller was "Are there any restrictive covenants on the property?" They took their time, so we got our solicitor to chase up theirs. When we got the reply back from their solicitor, it simply said "We don't know what these are."

To this day I am convinced that the seller's solicitor got his secretary to ring up the seller, ask them the legal questions, then type up the answers and send them to our solicitor without even looking at them. You would have thought that a conveyancing solicitor would know what restrictive covenants were!

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds