Spiral nails pulling out of deck

There are 6 or 8 spiral nails on our deck that will not stay down. The boards are flat on the deck and do not appear to be cupped or warped. But, within about 3 months of driving the nails down, they are back up.

Should I pull the nails and replace them with the next size larger spiral nail?

Should I pull the nails and replace them with coated deck screws?

Reply to
mg

If you go this route, you might try ring shank nails, or hot-dipped galvanized.

Reply to
Chris Friesen

If you are going to use screws, use _stainless_. =20

Without regard to what others will say about coated deck screws, they do = rust and causes holes where water will lay. Stainless may cost more but = they can be reused - back them out and stick them somewhere else even 10 = years later. Try that with a rusted deck screw.

Might be that walking on the deck is causing the board to flex thereby = lifting the nails.

P D Q

Reply to
PDQ

There is an old expression about fasteners "working" their way out, probably from expansion/contraction of the wood or from possible vibration.

Your best chance will be deck screws, just be sure they are rated for exterior service.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I replied to your post in another newsgroup. When you are asking one question that applies to a couple of three newsgroups, post only the one message. Otherwise people can't see all of the responses and there will be duplication, wasted time and effort. It's not spamming when you post to more than one group if it is applicable to the group. Thanks.

RicodJour

Aside from the suggestion to use ring shanked nails or deck screws, you might also want to investigate why the nails are coming up. It *could* be just because of general traffic, but it could also be because of especially warped wood or the fact that it bounces escessively when walked on. Are the supporting timbers all in good shape and reasonably flat on their edges?

Reply to
Upscale

Considerably more. Maybe even prohibitively more. Are preservative coatings an option? Since I'm currently refurbishing an old deck, I'd certainly be interested in this info. Thanks.

nb

Reply to
notbob

It really depends on how long you plan on having the deck, what type of wood is used, what the weather is like in your area, etc.

I live in the Canadian prairies, where it's pretty dry most of the summer. Around here the average wooden deck will usually fall apart before the fasteners corrode, so nobody uses stainless.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I think it all depends on the service life you're shooting for. I worried over this for my solar panels, and opted for stainless fasteners throughout (even for the pair of pop rivets and backup plates used in each absorber section that aren't ever exposed to the weather).

If you use square drive, you can back 'em out when the time comes - and use 'em in your /next/ deck. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Spare me the bull shit.

Deck Screws, #8x3", 18-8 S/S, $13.20/box (100 pcs)

Jamestown Distributors

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I tried them the first time. =20 They were guaranteed not to rust, bust, tear or spring leaks.

When it came time to redo, I used stainless.

The stainless on my fence are 10 years old and still look and work like = new.

I wish my deck could say the same. Each plank I redo/replace gets = stainless.

I had to redo a portion of the deck after 3 years when my TV antenna was = removed. The screws had rusted by then and most of the ones I had to remove got = chewed by a reciprocal saw.

P D Q

Reply to
PDQ

Do it right, do it once, and all that. But I don't like stainless deck screws as much as the epoxy coated ones. The coated screws are much less likely to strip out the square drive recess than stainless screws.

RicodJour

"RicodJour" wrote: ================================ Do it right, do it once, and all that. But I don't like stainless deck screws as much as the epoxy coated ones. The coated screws are much less likely to strip out the square drive recess than stainless screws. =================================

That's why pilot drills were invented.

A MUST for S/S fasteners IMHO.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'm on a fixed income and know next to nothing about carpentry fastener prices.

You buying? If not, might I suggest you keep your ill mannered responses to yourself.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Then why offer advice about a subject you know little about?

As far as fixed income, what is the revelancy?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

That's the deal breaker - well, one of the deal breakers - for me. Pilot holes near the ends of boards to prevent splitting, sure, but no way no how am I drilling a deck full of pilot holes when the epoxy coated screws are self drilling and have those nifty anti-mushroom heads.

RicodJour

I said ss screws cost considerably more. Since "considerably" means different things to different ppl, "more" is is open to debate and not definitive. My second statement was qualified with "Perhaps", which indicates speculation, not fact. Alone or together, both statements hardly qualify as "advice".

What? ...I gotta explain everyting?

I AIN'T GOT MUCH MOOLAH! HARD TIMES! NO END OF QUARTER BONUS!

Does that clear it up?

nb

Reply to
notbob

Not unless you have a deck to repair.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

He does.

RicodJour

Here in the Sierra foothills a lot of delta rib metal roofing is used. On some roof one or two screws will work their way out again and again. No one [ including the mfgs.] has been able to come up with a rational explanation. You just have to check your roof every year,

Chuck P.

Reply to
Pilgrim