PSTN/POTS retirement

Was the above as a result of you entering your postcode/address. The results they give may only be based on third party checking of the facilities in your location.

Have you got fibre in your street (not Virgin)?

If yes, try your postcode/address in:-

No fibre in the street then Zen will probably use the same as BTs FTTC but I think Zen have recently raised their prices for services other than FTTP.

Reply to
alan_m

Yes I put in my postcode and chose the correct house. The last time I did it was about 3 years ago and they had a similar priced offer which included landline and their own email address format. No mention of that now.

Someone called ?Giganet have been pulling purple cables into ducts in the village and have installed their own green cabinet next to the BT FTTC one but no-one is actually using it yet.

My phone line is 4-core SWA buried under my lawn so I don't how I would get FTTP unless they start putting up unsightly poles.

Reply to
Andrew

On the same connection, you should get roughly the same speed. It's the same copper connected to the same linecard in the same cabinet. You may get sent a different model of router which might change things a little bit.

However they are instructions from Ofcom not to oversell speeds. They used to offer 'up to' speeds when actually few people would get that number. That was banned for false advertising, so now they undersell instead - they give a range of speeds and a guaranteed minimum which is way below.

For example, on my connection, Zen say:

Guaranteed download: 31 Mbps Estimated download: 37-60 Mbps Estimated upload: 9-15Mbps

Actual download: Sky router: 72-76Mbps BT Homehub 5a / OpenWRT / default modem firmware (no VDSL vectoring): 55Mbps HH5a / modem firmware with VDSL vectoring: 72Mbps Actual upload: 12-13Mbps

So if you get 24Mbps with your VDSL today, you should get about the same sync speed with another ISP. Network congestion may make actual download speed vary a bit, but you should get the sync rate at some times of day.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

As a lot of us are nearing this age now, I think its a scandal nobody thought about it before going digital, and putting all eggs in one basket. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I did some research and the following are available from Argos:

TP-Link M7350 4G LTE Mobile Wi-Fi Router: £74.99

SMARTY UNLIMITED 30 Day Pay As You Go Data Only SIM Card: £1, then £20 pcm for unlimited data
I pay about £35 pcm for line rental (BT) plus Internet (PlusNet).

Probably worth considering as backup of PlusNet goes t*ts up/is amalgamated and I lose my email address and 250 MB webspace.

Reply to
Max Demian

And an external 4g antenna will improve your mobile broadband speed.....

P.S. Three do a 5g Router & 3 unlimited SIM all for 20 quid a month, min contract length of 24 months:

See

Obviously you will need to live in an 5g area and an external antenna will help too, or you can have the 4g deal for teh same price (!)

Reply to
SH

Good point. I have added a section:

The easy way would be to disconnect the incoming line from the old master socket (with a screwdriver if you want to be elegant, or side cutters if not!) and plug the old master socket into the new one. The surge suppressor and test resistor will have no effect. The ring capacitor will likely make no difference either.

Reply to
John Rumm

I have a couple of two-handset Gigaset systems, and they all work via one of the base stations (the other is simply kept for charging).

I did get hold of a transposed phone lead, intending to back feed the house wired sockets, via an existing outlet near the router, after disconnecting them at the incomer, but really don't have a need to do so.

Seeing discussion elsewhere, I have given it a go. At the BT box (which is not installed to BT rules, but that goes back before I moved in) I simply disconnected the incoming pair.

I then connected the crossover lead from the second phone socket on the Virgin 3 Modem to a nearby wired phone socket, plugged an old phone into a different socket, and nothing happened.

Experimenting further, if I plugged my lead instead into the first socket on the modem, in place of my DECT base station, then the wired sockets all worked as expected. Interestingly the DECT station also does not work on the second modem socket.

So, I could get the house wired system connected up, but currently I would have to connect the DECT station to the same network.

I hadn't appreciated that the second phone socket on the Hub is for a second line.

At least if my DECT phones fail, a quick swap of cables will allow me to use our one working wired handset around the house.

I do have a splitter/adaptor, but the DECT phones didn't seem to like it, though I didn't investigate further.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

In message <u7usjs$3o7u9$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, John Rumm snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.null writes

When I was looking into how to wire my internal phone connections to the ATA socket on the router, it became apparent that there are several models of BT/OR master socket, and depending on which one you've got, the preferred solution will differ. Mine was of a type that didn't lend itself to surgery (beyond cutting the internal connection from the face plate), but others do.

Ah (thanks to the guys at uk.telecom where this has been covered),

explains.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Yup not uncommon. Many will give the capability of having at least two ports that look like a telephone line (aka FXO - Foreign Exchange Office). Some also support ports that can look like a phone (aka FXS - Foreign Exchange Subscriber). That way the router can connect back to a real analogue line as well, and place calls via that if required.

You can usually create dial plans that would route some calls via VoIP - possibly direct to another VoIP capable router by IP address, or via VoIP via a SIP account to get out to the "real" PSTN, or route the call directly to the PSTN socket and not go VoIP at all.

(lets you chose the most cost effective option based on the call destination, or direct via different SIP accounts to group users into cost centres etc)

Reply to
John Rumm

Just had an email from Plusnet, seems they're organising a series of local "roadshows" to inform people of what's happening re: digital voice, giving the date/location of a local one to me, and an invite to drop-in and chat ...

Reply to
Andy Burns