PSTN/POTS retirement

That's the business of the phone, not the type of connection. Plug in a classic wired phone and that's how it works. Many router/ATA boxes also understand pulse dialling, so you can use a rotary phone if you like.

Many DECT phones can also give you dialtone by holding down the green button, and they you can dial as if you had a wired phone. That's useful if you want to listen to the dialtone for some reason (eg the way 1571 gives you a different dialtone if there are messages for you).

Theo

Reply to
Theo

That's interesting in that it seems to be a DECT to analogue bridge. So allows you to connect an analogue phone to a DECT system, of which there's one in the BT hub.

I'm not clear whether it'll pair with any other DECT base, or just BT's?

Theo

(who was initially confused by the way it uses the WPS button for pairing, but it appears to use the DECT frequencies, not wifi)

Reply to
Theo

I'm inclined to agree. The language they are using isn't suggesting "might" or "over a period of time." Against that, if they *are* going to, they should have already started making it very clear to all and sundry that it is a deadline and telling people to prepare now - if only to kickstart the necessary manufacture of the appropriate kit that will be required.

Reply to
Bob Henson

don't know

me too when I first saw them until I remembered the newer BT hubs are also DECT base stations. One WPS button rules them all.

Reply to
Robin

That's a possible. They are already migrating mobile accounts from their own BT badged accounts to EE badged accounts. 'Er indoors made a few minor changes and found she had a new EE SIM to install. No big deal, but they do seem intent on rationalising.

Reply to
Bob Henson

Thanks, good to know.

I have friends that don't get the concept of a send key, or additional keys that must be pressed in sequence before using a phone. I have tried them with cordless and even mobiles - it was a disaster.

They just expect to be able to go off hook and dial, after hearing the dial tone.

Thankfully, if they can still use their old wired phone, then they (by extension, erm, me) don't need to worry. :)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

In message <u78usp$eadg$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, David Wade snipped-for-privacy@dave.invalid writes

Pass, I don't have technical specs for the various phones, so I couldn't say.

Not possible. I can't remember what the correct names are for the plug types, but the phone has the usual rectangular plug on it, whereas the router has a square socket (same as the one that connects it to the master socket for the incoming network connection).

I wouldn't be surprised if the router can only power one ringer, and that happens to be the furthest one away (assuming that the DECT phone powers it's own ringer).

From my point of view, it isn't a problem, I only mentioned it as a quirk on my set up.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Its not an additional key. Its just the order. So type the digits then hit the off hook button. This then allows mistakes to be correctly..

That works, but dial a wrong digit and you have to restart..

I get that. When driving I sometimes drop my hand to the gear lever expecting to have to change down even though I have driven an automatic for 20 years....

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

You probably need adapter with a ring capacitor in it:

Modern phones don't use the bell wire, but older ones do. This provides it.

Unless your phone has a mechanical ringer I doubt it's going to exceed the ringing capability of the router, even if the router can't provide the full REN=4 (which is the number of RENs a PSTN line must support).

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I've found Zen support pretty good in the past.

That's one reason why I'll wait. The other is that I'll be surprised if FTTP appears in 12 or even 18 months. All the new estates around have it, cable, and no doubt other new technical wizardry. We still have telephone poles, but the copper wire has been reliable for voice and broadband. I get around 30 Mb download and 5Mb upload with FTTC, which is more than sufficient for my needs.

I expect it to be OR who installs the fibre, but I suppose it could be CF. At present I'm paying £22 a month for Zen unlimited Fibre 1 (advertised currently at £30 a month). That's on top of the BT landline charge or course.

I don't think that's accessible to anyone but you when you log on. If I click on the link, it goes to a page with a URL 710 characters long at

etc! Where is the beta site?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

You may be surprised. I had been checking and no projected dates were visible anywhere. I assumed we were being ignored as we had good FTTC and Virgin available. Then a couple of months ago an Openreach "truck" appeared and all the street poles were replaced.

A few weeks later I got e-mails from Plusnet and Zen telling me FTTP was available.

Check the map...

It could be many. I believe everyone can now use BT ducts, even Virgin. Kelly did my actual install..

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

In message <u79cs8$fhti$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Jeff Layman snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid writes

We're on poles here. OR contractors have installed extra hardware on the posts for fibre, and City Fibre have been round hawking their services (and a couple of the neighbours appear to have gone for it). Contractors for Virgin have also been active in the area installing street cabinets, but they appear to be intending to use the overheads once they are ready to go.

I'm getting 73/10 on my FTTC connection, which is more than enough for me, so I'm in no rush to migrate. OR tell me that it will be sometime before the end of 2025.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

When I looked at it a while ago, I read that it could only connect to a BT home hub and not to any other DECT basestation - otherwise it would have been useful for me.

Reply to
SteveW

It's certainly something I'll be looking at come contract renewal. I've just moved and was relying on a tethered iPhone on a 60GB data sim, £10/month. Worked very well giving 40Mb/s - so better than the 35Mb/s offered by Talktalk. And worked pretty seemlessly on the TV for player, Netflix etc. too.

Reply to
RJH

which network was that please?

Reply to
SH

I knew of an elderly woman who couldn't cope with dialling at all when it was introduced to her area. She expected to be able to pick up the phone and be connected to the operator straight away. When this stopped happening she would write to the GPO and complain that her telephone wasn't working.

Reply to
Max Demian

Yes it redirects to the beta customer portal and with boxes for your registered portal email address and your own portal login

is
etc you mention

The original "portal / zen configuration / your details" address is

the same email address and password as above

then select "customer portal" from the options

then select " Zen's beta portal"

Reply to
alan_m

They are advertising FTTP (100Mb) @ £30 FTTP (300Mb) @ £34 FTTP (500Mb) @ £38 FTTP (900Mb) @ £43

Add £6 for digital voice which includes 1000 minutes/month to uk landlines or mobiles.

You will save on the landline rental.

Reply to
alan_m

Well I just checked the ZEN website to see what they offered me and despite all their claims to offer 18 month contracts etc all they are offering me is this -

Unlimited Broadband (12 Month Contract) 7-16 Mbps Estimated Download £32.99 per month £29.99 set-up fee

0.9 Mbps Estimated Upload 3 Mbps Min. Guaranteed Download 12-month contract

Guaranteed no in-contract price increases UK’s only Which? recommended provider

No mention of whether this includes a landline, so I suspect not.

This is slower than my existing BT FTTC connection where I get about 24 Mbps download.

Reply to
Andrew

1870's should be 1870s.
Reply to