Protective coating for garden gate.

I'm making a chicken proof garden gate. To please the grandkids the components are being painted in a wide variety of colours. All of the paint is old stuff out of the back of the shed, being various types of exterior paint, some gloss, some matt. When all is done it there a protective coat that can be painted over the lot to aid durability?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I've never heard of one for external use myself, but that does not mean one does not exist. Something in the back of my mind for sealing wrought iron gates by dipping them in some kind of clear plastic stuff, but that was rather on an industrial scale.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yacht varnish ?

Reply to
fred

Some sort of exterior vanish would help, marine varnish is designed to put up with harsh conditions but is quite expensive. I guess you wouldn't need all that much for a gate though.

Reply to
Chris Green

Paint with a thin epoxy?

(West systems, Total boat etc)

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks I'll compare the costs of yatch varnish and the epoxy.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Lacquer, as used over various car paints? You'd have to test with each paint that you have used though, to ensure that they don't react.

Reply to
SteveW