Protecting CU tails - possibly one for ARW

or even BS7671

Reply to
charles

porotherm?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I take the opposite view. Put the immersion and cooker on the shared RCDs. If an element fails then you will know about it, so you then isolate the element with the double pole switch and reset the RCD.

Reply to
ARW

No one is going to come round and measure it. I would happily fit more than a 3m run of meter tails.

Reply to
ARW

They need to spell meter properly.

Reply to
ARW

I think I'm at 2.5 m. The cost is the main deterrent. I could have saved a bit running them diagonally but I'm not that gash!

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Sounds a bit modern - these houses were built c1950. It's quite hard, so there's a fair chance of the bit going through suddenly and the chuck hitting the plaster.

Reply to
PeterC

Amazing how much fuss there is now.

Just stayed in a Welsh cottage where the 2 separate and probably unarmoured main feed wires popped through a wall from the overhead line and wandered off to the meter cupboard (assumption - it was locked, but didn't notice a meter anywhere else) - so these were on the wrong side of the cottage's cutout fuse.

Same in Devon a few years back - 2 main cables wibbled in through door frame and off to the cutout in some cupboard.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Place in France had 2 very dubious wires - I was never certain if they were insulated - wandered across above the in-bath shower, about 7' above the bottom of the bath. I'm 6' 4" (or was then) so washing my hair...

Reply to
PeterC

Reply to
Tim Watts