Projecting Rawbolt usage

I'm trying to fix a 3in square wooden post to a brick wall, using two "Projecting Rawbolts" from Rawplug. These have a portion about 4.5cm long, which goes into a 12mm hole in the wall. The bolt then has an extending portion about 7cm long (in my case), to go through the post.

According to the picture documentation, one is meant to but the bolts into the wall and attach the post though holes in the correct places, and then tighten the nuts on the outside of the post.

It seems to me more logical to tighten the nuts _before_ fixing the post, leaving the bolts securely fixed in the wall. The post can then be added, and additional nuts added on the outside.

Has anyone used these bolts, and can advise me for or against what I suggest? If so, I would be most grateful to learn of your experience.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Yes, and then remove the nuts/washers, place the post over the (now securely-fitted) projecting bolt and the reuse the nuts/washers on the post.

No need for additional nuts/washers.

HTH

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Thanks. That seems like a very good idea, which I shall follow.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Wot I do too.

I use this method to erect a 'To let' sign on the side of a house - when it's tenanted, the sign comes down very easily, just leaving two of these rawlbolts protruding unobtrusively from the wall until next time they are needed.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I find it difficult to believe that two 8mm holes through the 3in square post will significantly weaken it.

That isn't my experience. The previous post did rot, but only at the ground. (I've put a slate under the new post.) In fact it was very difficult to remove the old rawplugs.

What precisely are these brackets? How do they attach to the wall?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy