Fix Fence Post to Wall

I've got a 100mm square timber fence post close to a neighbour's garden wall that's broken just under the soil. Rather than dismantle the fence to replace the post I was thinking of just screwing through the post into the wall (the neighbour doesn't object).

Problem is that the wall has capping stones that project about 30mm, so I'll have to put a packing piece between the post and the wall. I was hoping to use masonry bolts, and just drill the post and wall in situ, but can't find any bolts longer than 150mm, which won't be long enough to go through the post, packing piece and then securely into the wall (building blocks, faced on his side with brick).

Can you get longer masonry bolts, say 180 to 200mm?

Any alternatives, bearing in mind I can't get behind the post, so want to drill through it into the wall?

Reply to
Davidm

counter bore 30mm into post?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I'm sure that you *can* get longer bolts, but the alternatives are:

  1. Notch the back of the post to go round the capping stones, or

  1. Counterbore half-way through the post with a large enough diameter to accommodate a socket spanner to fit the bolt heads. [Done that many times!]

Reply to
Roger Mills

Use aloos bolt masonry fixing. Throw away the bolt and use a bit of screwed rod and a nut and washer one the fixing.

Plus and extra nut and washer on both sides of the post. (Three in total)

Reply to
harryagain

Use threaded rods and nuts, you can then use what ever length you need.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

But one end is into masonry. Are you suggesting resin that end? That would mean setting the rods in the wall and then offering the post up when the resin has set. But my impression is that the post is already against the wall (attached to a fence) and the OP doesn't want to move it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Drill through the post, then drill a hole in the wall. Finally use a Rawlbolt - the type with a threaded expanding socket. A threaded rod into that, then just tighten up.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'm not sure what access you've got, but could you not put packing pieces in which are wider than the post (to form a sort of cross), then fix the packing piece to the wall at either side of the post and then use long screws countersunk as necessary to secure the post to the packing pieces?

John M

Reply to
John Miller

Is the garden wall strong enough to the the battering the fence would get in a gale?

Reply to
philipuk

Yes, the fence is only a foot or so higher than the wall, so largely sheltered by it anyway.

Reply to
Davidm

Thanks, I'll have a look at counter boring the post or using wall anchors with threaded rod, as long as the anchor will expand and grip without pulling out.

Reply to
Davidm

I've done this several times, usually fixing a post to act as the support for a side gate, with rawlbolts and it works fine.

Reply to
Huge