Profiteering or not.?

Apple's prices are not in fact higher than Samsung's for equivalent products.

That's always been mindless bullshit.

I have and can compare how often they have failed with my mate who always buys the Samsungs equivalent product.

And another mate has tried the latest google pixels and has discovered what utter steaming turds they are in reality with the damned things shutting down due to overheating.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I don't believe that the ASDA own label items were loss leaders.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Their "roll back" pricing also used to be more expensive than the local competition.

Reply to
alan_m

But they wouldnt have labelled it with old packing date at shipping time.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Not if its an application already in the menus. Find it there, right click and 'add to panel'. Mint MATE. Simples

If its a custom application, well I doubt you can even HAVE a custom application in MACOS

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OTOH there is nothing that providers of capital like better than an unfair advantage

- Government mandated product

- A government subsidy.

- A monopoly.

- A cartel.

- Access to supplies that no one else has.

The business of government used to be to regulate against that, now it is to *create* it. All for the most moral of reasons, of course!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

'Twas ever thus...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, all other things being equal, but they are not

Supermarket road fuel is almost zero profit - or was - it being reckoned that people coming to fill up would shop there and the profit came from the impulse buys.

I think you need to look up the term 'loss leader'.

Indeed.

The change from one parent works, one parent runs the home, in the 1960s had a devastating effect on house prices.

Suddenly, without two incomes, houses were unaffordable.

Crime in the burbs soared, as properties were empty during the day and no one was peering out from behind the net curtains any more.

Then the advent of Internet based disintermediation changed the retail experience forever.

Driving around local towns looking for what you want is replaced by a google search, and the cost of fuel replaced by a couriers charge.,

Times change, and we have to adapt.

Retail shops are effectively dead apart from coffee shops and restaurants, and the high street has gone forever.

It is likely to become a mix of upmarket residential flats and restaurants and bars that serve them

Just like old dockside warehouses are now bijoux 'spaces' for self indulgent urban hipsters with more cash than sense.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

RTP? In my days of model aeroplane making it meant Round The Pole.

I have used both. That is my opinion based on that experience. Most of the people I know who have tried Apple's dreadful software would agree.

Reply to
Bob Henson

Indeed. Apparently my cheapest fuel (ASDA) involves a 20 mile round trip, as does my second cheapest fuel, which I used a lot, until I noted that the cars range was always 20-30 miles shorter when I did. I now fill up at BP. Which is on my regular route to my favourite supermarket, which does not sell fuel.

And I can easily get 5% more by tailoring my driving style to economy.

Likewise my current switch to a fairly hard diet and reduced food intake, has shaved more off my food bill than inflation has put on it. Everyone who gives enough of a shit plays the system for what they can get out of it, and some play with more intelligence than others.

Running businesses taught me to automatically engage in ruthless cost benefit analysis,. I am not going to burn extra fuel to save money on a supermarket with cheaper and lower grade fuel, when it costs me more overall. But people don't make those calculations routinely.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As it did mine, until it became an internet protocol

Ive used Micro$soft, Apple OSX and Linux.

By far the least cost/best performance option is Linux. Provided someone has written the programs for it that you want to use.

If however, that program only runs on Windows, or a Mac, and cost $1000 a seat, then you are stuck with those shitty products. And must hope that the program runs effectively despite (not because of) the operating system that sits underneath it.

I do think apple hardware is more solidly constructed however. Not with better chips, but with better mechanicals.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That was the very early days of TV, and so not that many TV's around to be had. In the early days of computers, I journeyed 200 miles to source the components I needed to build one.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

There are no Costco garages near here. Do we have them in the UK, I've never seen one? A short while back our local Tesco was charging *10p per litre* more than the Tesco in Stroud about 10 miles away. Even the Shell garage a couple of miles away was a bit cheaper than our local Tesco and their petrol is considerably better, so that's where I now go. During the worst of the Covid, you could pay at Shell from your car with your phone - another huge advantage that's free. The price difference at the local (fully automatic - no staff to pay) Tesco was profiteering plain and simple - being the only garage in town they can get away with it. This was the worst case, but they are always more expensive than the other supermarket garages around the area. I repeat what I said -

*daylight robbery.*
Reply to
Bob Henson

It's much like people travelling out of their way 5 miles to save a couple of pence per litre little realising that the cost in travelling to and from the petrol station is more than they could save at the pump.

Reply to
alan_m

Don't be silly. What do you think my email client is?

Reply to
Tim Streater

But usually it isn't a Government subsidy - it will be something like the stealth tax on our utility bills [and paid for in the bills.

Reply to
alan_m

I think the worst case was a buyer who spent 6 weeks negotiating a 10% reduction in the cost of *resistors* for the product I had designed. The total component cost was around £70, of which the resistors comprised £1.20.

If he had gotten ANYTHING off the £15 mains transformer it would have been far more worth it.

In fact he, or someone, did, except it involved going to another manufacturer, who simply used less iron and the whole amplifier then hummed so badly we ended up with 100 transformers being essentially scrapped. I tried to tell them...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fuck nose. How could I tell? You never sent me any email

Might be whatever comes with OS/X, might be designed to work on OS/X. My point is that if a Mint linux app is designed to present itself in the menu system than it is trivial to set up a launcher in a panel. That is the same as OS/X

A CUSTOM bit of code, where you compiled it yourself, and it has no installer per se, does require the construction of a desktop file. Or you have to (I think) add it to the menu system somewhat manually.

Did you compile your mail client?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Where I worked there was often the same stupidity from the buying department. Development engineers would source an in stock item because they needed it the next day. Unfortunately any purchase had to go through the buying department (purchase forms in triplicate) who could get it 10% cheaper from somewhere else, but with a lead time of 6 weeks. The engineers only found out about the change of supplier after a couple of days when the item failed to turn up.

Toward the end of my career sanity started to rule and design and development engineers were given company credit cards with the authority to make direct purchases.

Reply to
alan_m

At Lakeside, near the QE2 Thames bridge. Also good for tyres if you like Michelin.

'Only garage'. Where I am, a few supermarkets do fuel. When people argue about communism and capitalism they miss the point: the critical feature is a free market i.e. real competition between suppliers. That does not exist by definition under communism, and when it is missing, capitalism doesn't work, either.

And I differ from Mr Nugent in asserting that free markets themselves are not stable, and need to be maintained by governments. There is no negative feedback around the size of a business, and when one gets the upper hand, it can expand and eliminate its competitors.

Reply to
Joe