Profiteering or not.?

Not if you're any good at retail business and have allowed for changes.. So long as you're making a reasonable margin on all of it. If, of course, R.P.M applied, then there would be no moral dilemma to consider.

Reply to
Bob Henson

Actually Apple *cases* and build quality are generally pretty much better. But its the same chips inside them.

You are really buying the supplied software. Which will only run on the shiny new ones, so an Apple computer is basically junk after about 7 years.,

Unless you put Linux on it, which is a far better solution.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But that Apple kit is sold at a RRP but obviously not one set at a level you like.

Reply to
alan_m

No, morality never did play a part. RPM ensured that smaller shops could make a decent profit and wouldn't be undercut by bigger ones so preserving a wider retail outlet platform

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On 30/05/2023 16:07, Bob Henson wrote: ...

As RPM set a minimum price, it would more likely be that the same high price applied everywhere.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Allowing for changes means charging more to begin with, so that you have money from yesterday to pay for what you need to buy tomorrow. Otherwise you get cash flow problems.

At the time of the 1964 Act, RPM only applied to about 33% of consumer spending and little, if any, of that was on groceries.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Too true. Especially the software part. Their software is very inferior and user unfriendly from the outset too. Can you run Linux on an Apple? Anything would be better than their own stuff even with all Linux's shortcoming.

Reply to
Bob Henson

An RRP means nothing. What you need is RPM (retail price maintenance) where the price is fixed at the manufacturers price. Then it would be more clearly obvious how much Apple were overcharging compared to others. They'd probably still overcharge though - the Great British Public will believe any rubbish that F*c*book or the TV says.

Reply to
Bob Henson

And that wasn't more moral? Abolishing RPM and thus allowing the big retailers free rein to bankrupt all the small business was moral? I think not.

Reply to
Bob Henson

You consider it more moral to have consumers pay more to prop up uncompetitive businesses?

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Isn't your view flawed logic?

3 manufactures make a washing machine

3 different RPMs set by the manufacturers but they are all competing for sales so undercut one another with their RPMs. At some point the profit margin selling a few machines, by the small retailer, at the maintained price isn't enough to sustain the business. With economies of scale the big players can still make enough profit selling thousands of machines at the same price. The bigger more efficient retailers can still drive the smaller retailers out of business. It's no real different to now.

The only way RPM worked to protect the small retailer was with everyone paying an artificial higher price.

Reply to
alan_m

Well that certainly applies to renewable energy and home solar panels, doesn't it? And to the whole French agricultural sector.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It actually meant that each manufacturer set a minimum (and sometimes a maximum) price for their product, not that the price was fixed at one value.

How? Apple could set prices for Apple products, while other manufacturers set prices for their own products. There need be no correlation between the prices set by different manufacturers.

Apple would doubtless argue, that their prices were higher because they make a superior product and many people would go along with the idea that you get what you pay for.

Whether they are better or not, I can't say as I have never bought an Apple product. If I did a lot of image based work, I might buy an Apple computer, but I mainly want to crunch numbers and the computers I build do that very well.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I hope you are not suggesting that government policy is driven by moral arguments. :-)

A victim of the strange French inheritance laws.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Which they have been doing vigorously since take over. Many, many ASDA own label items have disappeared.

Reply to
mm0fmf

I have found their hardware design to be in the main excellent, especially the cases. The software is however pants. And only maintained for a short time.

A 7 year old macbook pro at a sensible price is unusable with OS/X but a fantastic machine for Linux.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not in the slightest, I was merely showing that, moral or not, it is common for government to force consumers to pay more to prop up uncompetitive businesses.

A victim of a romantic fascination with local produce and little family farms.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Little family farms that probably used to be large family farms that have been broken up to comply with the law that everybody has to get a minimum proportion of the estate of a deceased.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Haha. An acquaintance of mine was in just such a condition. He and one other brother ran the farm with a third simply taking income from it and interfering. They offered to buy him out, but he refused, so they put the farm up for sale, and sold it for less then they had offered the brother, to themselves...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not these days. I have yet to see an M1 or M2 with its 8/16/more Gbytes of RAM onboard on anyone else's machine.

My server is a Mac Mini from 2014. Running the latest-bar-one version of the OS.

Only up to a point. It's better than Windows but things that should be easy, such as putting an app onto the taskbar/Dock, ain't.

Having to deal with Win-11 today, and being annoyed as usual that when a window (e.g. for an Excel SS) doesn't have the focus, any highlighting of a selected cell or row is removed *entirely* rather than just being muted. And I discover today that you can't move the Taskbar to the left of the screen (so it's vertical). It's at the bottom and that's that.

Reply to
Tim Streater