private sale of 3-piece suite: fire regs?

Because they are highly flammable and usually surrounded and or hung with even more inflammable materials in the shape of packages and may or may not feature actual candles, but will always be festooned with electrical lights all of which is installed by amateurs and subject to no professional supervision.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On quality secondhand stuff it ought to.

Most modern stuff sadly uses cardboard, mdf, chipboard, plywood and occasionally some real wood. Tthat you can no longer torch it with a dropped cigarette is a disgrace.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Candles and cigarettes, yes, but where are all the christmas tree deaths?

Rospa (for one) don't seem to have any credence to add to this claim.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Caravans seem to be exempt from just about every rule going. Particularly insulation rules, as anyone who's tried sleeping in one off-season can tell you.

Reply to
Skipweasel

It's too big for the room, sadly, so spending a lot of money on it isn't an option.

Reply to
PeterC

They are not too bad. Our camper has a gas fire..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One of the events which caused a push for this legislation was the fire in Woolworths in the centre of Manchester in 1979. The fire was thought to have started due to an electrical fault, but the dense smoke due to polyurethane foam in the furniture that then caught fire killed 10 people. 3 were found less than 6 feet from an exit and three more close by, all overcome by the fumes.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

The static thing I slept in last Easter felt, sounded and was as warm as a Tupperwear box. Turn the heater off and it was chilly before you reached the other end of the thing.

Reply to
Skipweasel

So that's a good reason to make sure that all new furniture is made from new materials.

It is not a reason to stop someone offload their old sofa to someone (who can't afford a new one) for 20 quid

tim

Reply to
tim....

Depends what value you put on a life. /Cynic mode It also makes jobs for furniture makers. Cynic Mode/

Reply to
John Williamson

That's for the buyer to decide.

If this wasn't the rule in the UK why are we still allowing cigarettes to be sold

tim

Reply to
tim....

Cynically, because the government can't manage without the income from the tax.

Reply to
John Williamson

Law of unintended consequences.

Or it is, because that way the pool of inflammable sofas disappears completely in a few years.

"In my life as an MP, I have come to realise that 90% of what we do here in the House is almost completely useless" "Well that still leaves 10%" "Yes, the 10% is where we know from the outset that it is *utterly and completely useless* instead".

:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Since when did you expect legislation to make sense?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You mean you didn't see the Doctor Who Christmas Specials?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell