Printer vanishes from network !

I have two HP 2100 laser printer on my home network with Jetdirect cards. Both have fixed IP addresses and work fine, EXCEPT - if not used for a few hours or sometimes days they are liable to vanish from the network, not to return unless switched off and then back on again.

I wondered if something else was pinching their ip addresses, (we have holiday cottages who's occupants have web access so ip addresses get given out as they come and go) so moved the printers way up the map, and took those ip addresses out of the pool for the DHCP to dish out. No change - they still sometimes just vanish :( Can be hours or sometimes days.

Any suggestions gratefully received

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I used to have that problem with HP scanners too. They are pretty bad about suspend resume logic and sometimes lose their connection. Shame really as apart from that they were truly excellent and robust scanners.

You should be able to tell your router to reserve specific IP addresses for tetchy retro printers. Mine would sometimes get itself a new IP address following a powercut depending on what other battery powered devices were still active when the router rebooted.

In the same way the cooker would reset to midnight and the ditigal teasmade to making tea at +6 hours after power is restored :(

Reply to
Martin Brown

IME if this is windows XP, it's normal!

Reply to
Capitol

I get the same with an HP colour laserjet CP1515n, but it's only the printing that stops. You can still ping it and explore it's web based setup pages. The easy way to make it print again is a power cycle. It doesn't happen very often, maybe once a month. This is on DHCP but the server is set up so that everything that it has seen before gets the IP address it had before.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

IME HP printers of that era seem to have rather "fragile" jet direct cards... I have been through a couple that just gave up completely on my

2200DN, and in the end found it easier to plug it into an external print server via its USB where its been fine for 10 years or so (until last month when the PSU on the print server died).

Might be worth running wireshark and pinging it when it goes comatose and see what happens. Also try deleting its IP address from ARP table ("arp -d ), and see if it answers the ARP request.

Reply to
John Rumm

That vintage of HP had 'dry joint' problems on JetDirects. In the US they replaced many for free. A hot air gun might work if you are brave similar to issues on some games consoles I believe.

Reply to
Jim Chisholm

Dunno but i have in internet radio that does the same on a wired system, so who knows. I blame the aliens.. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian_Gaff

In message , Brian_Gaff writes

Global warming It's proven and if you question it you are a filthy denier - or are they stockings?

Reply to
bert

How do you expect to find the printer?

Do the printers stop responding to pings?

Reply to
Michael Chare