Price for Concrete blocks please

Hi, I'm trying to estimate the cost of materials for a workshop in my garden.I need about 650 concrete blocks 440x215x100mm. I want the exterior type not the featherweight insulating ones.

Has anyone bought any recently and know what price to expect for this sort of quantity. I've seen a 1 off price on line of £1.12ea but I rather hope they will be much cheaper in quantity.

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

They are available for 70p/block near me. Even Wickes will come in at about

85p/block. Medium density breezeblock.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Reply to
Dr Wu

Thanks Andy. That sounds a lot better price. I'll checkout the local BMs tomorrow armed with a bargaining start price.

Regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks Dr Wu. I'll phone around tomorrow The £1.12 price was TP online - hopefully they will be more realisitic for a larger order.

Regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

No attempt made to sort out the mess of attributions above.

TP will be better if you talk to them. You can get a "cash card" off them which will improve matters. Tou could probably get a better deal approaching Jewsons and mentioning TP prices, when they've stopped laughing they should talk to you & give free delivery.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Funny that, because I heard that Wickes is owned by Travis Perkins. My prices I quoted do not include delivery BTW.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Wickes is owned by the same company as Focus-Do-It-All. B&Q is owned by the same company as Screwfix. AFAIK Travis Perkins is just Travis Perkins.

Reply to
Rob Morley

No. Wickes/Focus was bought by TP a little while ago.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

In my case it worked the other way around.

Staff at Jewson have had a customer service lobotomy and couldn't care less "If it's in the yard it's in stock, go and look for yourself"

Go to TP and a quick check on the computer shows it's in stock for delivery tomorrow AM. Tell them how wonderful they are compared to Jewson and get a big discount!

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

OK, I shouldn't reply to my own posts but does anyone know if there are plans to consolidate Wickes/TP or keep them as seperate businesses?

In Aylesbury we had TP, Wickes and Focus. Wickes moved to the old Focus shed whilst their old site was redeveloped but are soon moving back and opening as a "Wickes Extra". Does the "Extra" refer to it being more like TP or more like Focus?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Not that it answers your question, but we still have TP, Focus and Wickes within half a mile of each other and no sign of any changes I wouldn't miss Focus, but I hope they don't mess around with Wickes too much.

Reply to
Rob Morley

7N dence blocks, 82p each inc VAT from B&Q.

Builders merchants don't have a price list, rater a price guide, and you negoiate, like buying a 2nd hand car. The more you buy the more you can get off. Watch out, Travis Perkins for example charge 50 quid for 800KG of sand, which is massivly expensive. The point is, you get the blocks 1p cheeper from travis perkins, and then they sting you for sand.

Rick

Reply to
Rick