Preventing halogen lights overheating under Rockwool

Are you also assuming that the pot doesn't have a plant in it?

Colin

Reply to
Colin

Interesting thread, this.

My own plan (not implemented yet) is to use old biscuit tins to cover each lamp. My thoughts are to line the rim of a normal-way-up rectangular biscuit tin with draught-proof strip, to help seal the tin to the plasterboard.

Then simply invert the tin over the lamp.

I've been pestering friends and relatives to retain their biccy tins from Christmas time (it seems a common gift up here in Scotland) - I've tried to munch many biscuits to help the collection! :-)

I'm thinking that a biscuit tin is quite a big volume of air, hence it ought to dissipate the heat better. And tin doesn't burn that well, does it?

Any flaws in the plan?

Mungo

Reply to
Mungo Henning

covered/surrounded

The flower pot when sealed with silicon keeps the house air-tight. Air laden with moisture is not what you want in the loft. Far from it.

Reply to
IMM

Use large cheap ceramic plantpots. Just silicon them around the base. Insulation can directly on top of the pots. Quicker and probably cheaper.

Mains downnlighters are hotter than LV. As mains is superseding LV in most downlighter applications, fire may become a problem. Transformers must be above the insulation screwed to the rafters, or on an MDF board screwed to the joists with the xformer above the insulation.

I believe dedicated boxes are for sale.

Reply to
IMM

Hi,

How about using compact fluorescent spotlights?

I bought one recently - the light is very very nearly as good as a halogen, it only uses 7W instead of 50 so excessive heat isn't a problem so you could insulate fully and save even more money.

Only downsides are that they are a tenner a pop and aren't dimmable. They will of course, pay for themselves many times over during their life. Hopefully they will bring out a dimmable version.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan Campbell