prestwick airport

Just passed Prestwick airport this morning and it seems to be the dumping ground for Virgin and other jets ....
On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 14:34:22 +0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."

Jim, you still don't seem to get the idea that this is a diy group, for people who are trying to do *something* (however obscure these days in many cases) themselves, it isn't your personal blog site?
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=free+blog
Or maybe you think your d-i-y content is trying to provide some sort of news feed, for those of us without TV's, radios or smartphones with push notifications?
So OOI, how many airports do you think are running a normal service and where they would put those aircraft that weren't flying? They can't just park them in the sky you know?
Me on a flight with Jim ...
PA: "This is your captain speaking. Unfortunately, one of our 4 engines has failed so we will now be 1 hour late arriving at our destination."
5 minutes later ...
PA: "This is your captain speaking. Unfortunately, the second of our 4 engines has failed so we will now be 2 hours late arriving at our destination."
5 minutes later ...
PA: "This is your captain speaking. Unfortunately, the third of our 4 engines has failed so we will now be 3 hours late arriving at our destination."
Jim turns to me and says: "Let's hope the last engine doesn't fail or we will be up here all night!"
Cheers, T i m

It was said after 9/11 that about half the world's airliners are [normally] in flight at any one time, so you only need enough tarmac to accommodate the other half. Start grounding most of them, and you have a problem. I'm not surprised they are parking them wherever they can.
--
Roland Perry

On Monday, 23 March 2020 14:34:25 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Those were the days - when what was effectively a level crossing went strai ght across the runway.
Remember 1999? And Eyjafjallajökull in 2014? Both times when the diffi culty was finding the space to park up large numbers of aircraft. At least Boeing had the forethought to ensure they didn't contribute further 737 Max to the fleets.

Or Sumburgh
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 18:47:12 +0000, charles wrote:

Or, at a slower pace, Brighton racecourse - in two places. Between races.
It is interesting as many planes are only leased, and I wonder what the people who funded the purchases will be doing to preserve their value. I'd have thought somewhere in a desert with covers over the engines might have been better. Brian
--
----- --

Trouble is those deserts are full of all those 737 MAXs that are grounded and they have run out of engine covers too.