Pressure washing PVC

I have a lean-to PVC conservatory on the side of my bungalow, facing west. On the north side, where it doesn't get any sunshine, the PVC on the outside is going green with algae. I plan to pressure wash it, but is that likely to damage the surface of the PVC? Should I just use a bucket and brush?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I would be very careful, I once washed a plastic/PVC patio table and the marks from the pressure washer were obvious, I reckon I could easily have eaten through it. A hose and stiff brush maybe a safer option.

Reply to
ss

Yes, even polycarbonate tends to frost. I used to have a greenhouse with those curved panels at the eaves. A neighbour pressure washed these and they went a bit frosty, then next year started to crack due to the water getting in and making weak spots.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

I think the quality of UPVC is considerably higher than the stuff used for garden tables etc. I?ve never seen UPVC degrade to any significant degree in the sun (or elsewhere).

I?d try a small unobtrusive area first to see how it bears up.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

New PVC windows has a protective "varnish" which degrades. The PVC is actually quite porous, this why muck and algae gets a hold. There is stuff available to renew the finish,

Reply to
harry

Almost certainly, pressure washers are vicious things. I don't care what they say about UV stable all the uPVC that I've seen after being outside for a few years has a thin "bloom" layer of degraded plastic on the surface. It's pale gray very noticable on black, not so much on white...

I would and maybe look at the uPVC "revivers" that you can get to try and restore a smooth finich that will reduce the footholds for algae.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

pressure wash and if the surface is degraded finish up with a buffing wheel (Halfords) and T-cut

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What's in those, & how do they work?

Reply to
Adam Funk

I think that the good ones contain solvent and effectively soften, smooth and then as they evaporate, re-harden the surface of the uPVC.

I don't remember the make, but I used to have a can of the stuff my uncle (who frequently worked installing door and windows) used to use to remove any marks from both old and freshly installed units. It was very effective.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Mostly Acetone

Reply to
alan_m

For cleaning PVC, I've used this

it doesn't claim to "restore" the surface, but I'd be wary of using a pressure washer.

Be careful how much of the stuff you breathe in, if working up a ladder probably best to use a vapour filtered half-mask, or do take frequent breaks ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, that's definitely a major constituent.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I guess you need to be careful not to overdo it!

Reply to
Adam Funk

Or do it when there's a breeze (but not too windy).

Reply to
Adam Funk