PPPro drill

this is not:

Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download
to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

It appears to be a coincidence that they say "GMC has also expanded into numerous international markets including the United Kingdom", and the only place I've seen their kit is in B&Q all though as a previous poster said "Looking at some of the drill drivers I reckon Ryobi are buying stuff from them".

I doubt if B&Q staff would know who manufactures their own brand as they don't seem as knowledgable as Wickes staff.

By the way you can download manuals on that site for some of the tools, as I did for someone who had one of the PPPro 24v 3 speed drills.

Reply to
Kaiser

Then they appear to be sticking "Ryobi" stickers on some of the internal parts.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The Chinese factories will do whatever level of private labelling to obfuscate the product's true origin that the customer would like.

It all depends on the price and how many container loads he's willing to take.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Have a look at the "what to look for" section here:

you want to do much chiseling then get one with a speed controller trigger, otherwise they are rather "random" when trying to start a cut.

Reply to
John Rumm

What, so if someone asks for a "cheap" type of import, and asks for a different makers name to be printed on it, that maker won't take action? Yeah, right.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yes, similar to my findings ...

I have found the B&Q returns desk quite agreeable if you have found a fault with your purchase. But it's best to have a detailed description of the fault(s) you have found (the more the merrier really). BTW they have never checked the faults I had before refunding my money.

When in the middle of the mitre saw fiasco, one returns assistant described their own brands as crap and suggested I get a Makita or DeWalt... after a faulty Rexon from B&Q I did!

Reply to
AlexW

Having had the name of a company I used to work for appear on an obviously cheaper product which was in itself a copy of a lower quality competitor to us, I can assure you this is the case.

Reply to
Mike

That's not what I said.

In the example, the customer is the company wanting the manufacturing and labelling of the product, not the end user. I thought that that was pretty clear.

In other words, if Ryobi (whoever they are, which is somewhat unclear) want their name on all the components and not just on a sticky label on the outside, they can have it for a price and a volume.

This is standard OEM and private label business.

Reply to
Andy Hall

They are a Japanese company. A very large one too.

More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Can you be more specific, Which internal parts and on what Ryobi product?

Reply to
Kaiser

The tools company is owned by Techtronic International of Hong Kong.

will discover from there that they also own the tools businesses of Milwaukee, AEG as well as Ryobi.

90% of manufacturing is in mainland China..... a significant proportion of which is OEM.
Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy wrote;

Now that is a good question. Either; GMC badge for Ryobi, who badge for B&Q - OR Ryobi buy in GMC and badge them for B&Q.

Hmmmmmm!

I do know for sure that Ryobi buy in & badge pressure washers from FAIP - because so does the company I work for!

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Motors and gearboxes.

On a PPPro drill, as the subject line.

Sorry to have posted an on-thread message hence leading to compelte confusion.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Take a look at

- Under "About GMC" - no mention of manufacturing

- Under Service/Warranty - no mention of spares, just replacements.

Now take a look at

at the labels and that they have a substantial OEM business and all will become clear....

I don't somehow think that GMC manufactures for Ryobi....

Reply to
Andy Hall

If Milwaukee and AEG are anything to go by, then Royobi are up there. Royobi quality is v good. That is clear. Any rebadging for PPPro will only be on their top end models. In B&Q they actually sell the Ryobi brand.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

TTI has everything from Dirt Devil to Milwaukee. It's a range of brand labels that they have bought together with the run-rate business that goes with them.

They can choose to take the brands up market, down market, leave them the same or even use them on mechanical diggers.

It's on the +/- average range in most tool reviews.

Rubbish.

and this is a recommendation?

Reply to
Andy Hall

If I hadn't seen it for my own eyes I would never have believed it. Homelite was always associated with John Deere at one time, it was their DIY range.

Reply to
Kaiser

Well.... It's just an indication of what's happening in the consumer marketing and manufacturing world.

I suspect that most of us hadn't heard of TTI before yesterday - they hardly give themselves a high profile. I don't suppose that most people noticed their acquisition of the AEG/Milwaukee power tool businesses in January, but we weren't intended to.

Regarding Ryobi's power tools businesses, TTI had purchased pieces of it going all the way back to 2000. They bought the Americas business in 2000, European business in 2001 and Australia/NZ in 2002. In turn, Ryobi Japan owned a piece of TTI until 2003 when they divested themselves completely of it.

Even so, TTI is not *that* big. Turnover for last year was a little over £1bn.

TTI now has around 40% of the power tools market in the U.S. (largely because of Ridgid and Milwaukee) and between 15 and 20% in Europe.

One thing's for sure. Japanese company they are not as regards power tools, unless perhaps Ryobi Ltd. of Japan resells stuff manufactured by TTI in Japan. This is the classical Chinese operation with Hong Kong gateway.

Reply to
Andy Hall

They have then an obvious remedy at law.

Reply to
Chris Bacon