Powerpoint iin the loft?

In article , Christian McArdle writes

You would also need to know the hot resistance of the load.

I think he is competing for the IgNoble prize.

Reply to
Prometheus

In article , Bazzer Smith writes

I think we should look on the bright side, you will soon remove yourself from the gene pool.

Reply to
Prometheus

I think we should be realistic; the chances of this wanker procreating with anyone other than his right hand is already approximately zero.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I look at my house carefully and verify that it has now burnt to the ground. I know how to do this because I have a friend who works for an insurance company who told me wht a gutted. burnt out house looks like. I verify my household electrics are working by using the succesfully every day or every so often. I have a friend who works in Currys who told me how to tell if they were working properly or not.

Reply to
Bazzer Smith

See my reply to Mike.

Reply to
Bazzer Smith

That is content free. You clearly are not doing any real testing at all. As someone said, you will thankfully remove yourself from the gene pool soon. That will reduce the number of people who don't understand what earth wiring or insulation are for.

Reply to
Bob Eager

How to identify a troll: lesson 2.

Reply to
Paul Herber

We had an installation engineer who was the most conscientious in the department. He never left a job without producing the relevent paperwork. On one occasion I found him working out the PSC of the system by pulsing on and off the electric heater and applying ohms law after determining the wattage of the heater, and using a (calibrated) avo to determine the voltage with and without the heater working.

I would trust his figures more than from anyone else in the department, and from a more modern digital instrument. At least he could back up his answers from basic theory, without much reliance on mass produced test certificates for over complicated test gear which can't be reliably calibrated by the operator.

Reply to
<me9

I suppose you can give your car an MOT test just by looking at it too?

Rod.

Reply to
Roderick Stewart

I was having a problem with my gas boiler and wondered if the thermocouple was working correctly, you can buy meters to this for the princly sum on $900

can spend another $1000 on "optional extras" if you like :O)

I tested mine with a £5 multlimeter, and it gave the expected 30 millivolt reading. It turned out that the gas valve was faulty (verified by a qualified gas engineer, mind you I had figure that out for myself already!!). Not that he actually tested it, he just cut the existing thermocouple (which I had just bought!!) and put a new one in!! Still as they only cost him about £4, thats the most cost effective way to do it I guess? (especially if it is faulty, as is usually the case) because he is going to have to replace it anyway. He told me 99 times out of 100 it is the thermocouple rather than the gas valve.

Reply to
Bazzer Smith

I verify my car is working by using it succesfully every day or every so often. The MOT test only (probably) verifies that it is road worthy at the time of the test.

Slip em a few squid and they will pass it anyway :O)

"It was OK when we tested it Guv'na"

Reply to
Bazzer Smith

Way beyond the capabilities of 'Bazzer', who thinks you can use a mutimeter to test insulation resistance...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes you can actually. You just cannot issue the certificate ;-)

not possible with the new machines. now its up to VOSA to say wether the car has passed or not. not the testing station

Reply to
chris 159

So how much does can a casual visual inspection tell you about the thickness of the brake linings, the amount of play in the wheel bearings, the accuracy of the steering alignment, the tyre pressures, and the content of the exhaust emissions?

Rod.

Reply to
Roderick Stewart

What about backstreet testing stations that aren't issuing the new style MOT certificates yet?

Reply to
Max Demian

A lot of those things aren't covered by a full service these days.

Reply to
Max Demian

All monitored my the car management system in my car, I can get a read-out (MOT) at any time.

Reply to
Bazzer Smith

Isn't this "car management system" part of the car that it is testing? Given that it must be subject to the same mechanical and thermal stresses as the car itself, what verification have you of its state of calibration?

Rod.

Reply to
Roderick Stewart

As I am both the driver and 'manager' of the car I am fairly sure I am calibrated correctly.

Some may disagree :O)

Reply to
Bazzer Smith