Powerpoint iin the loft?

I am touting no site. Where on earth do you get that idea from?

No, you must be a troll. Or very, very ignorant.

Reply to
Bob Eager

We need a new word for the opposite of a polymath - a nullimath perhaps?

Rod.

Reply to
Roderick Stewart

actually it's Latin, but never mind. How many "multimeters" have you met that give out 500v for insulation testing?

Reply to
charles

In article , Bazzer Smith writes

I^2 x R loss in the cable; that limits the current you may draw according to the method of installation.

Reply to
Prometheus

Thanks...saves me the trouble of pointing that out.

Ah, but his 'extensive' qualifications in electronics tell him that 1.5 volts is all that is needed!

Reply to
Bob Eager

In article , Bazzer Smith writes

It's 240V RMS, which is why you test that insulation is good above its peak value.

I would like to know how you are going to check the resistance between earth and live (earth loop resistance) which has to be on a live circuit because it is a measure of the resistance all the way back to the sub-station, perhaps you will tell us?

Reply to
Prometheus

It means that the rules have nothing to do with ability and qualification.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In this case I think "troll" is the word you're looking for.

Reply to
Andy Wade

So why do you have a DTTV stick in your set up?

see post "Standard or widescreen monitor" dated/timed 21/07/06 00:54

Reply to
soup

And what do you mean by that exactly? (further translation required, that doesn't say anything meaningful to me)

Reply to
Bazzer Smith

So what?

Reply to
Bazzer Smith

You could earth loop with a multimeter. You'd need a high ampage load (an electric heater would be ideal), the multimeter on voltage setting (should probably be 4 sig figs) and a calculator. Unfortunately, you would also need a clue, which might be more difficult to obtain. ;-)

As for insulation testing, I fail to see how this could be done without some sort of high voltage generating set, although if you had access to such a voltage source, the multimeter could be contrived to give you some indicative result.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It has a 9 volt battery.

I don't need a meter to test insulation or earth.

Reply to
Bazzer Smith

Its a DDTV.

Reply to
Bazzer Smith

Dumbed Down TV

Reply to
Paul Herber

OK, then, tell us how you would:

a) test insulation to regulations b) test earth loop impedance to regulations

without one.

Reply to
Bob Eager

How appropriate.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I test them every day, all my electrics work find and my house has not burnt down yet, what can be more reassuring than that?

Reply to
Bazzer Smith

You carefully avoid telling us how. Presumably you realise you are not doing it correctly. Or would you like to tell us?

Reply to
Bob Eager

The question was "how", not "how often".

Reply to
Mike Henry