Powerbank / USB question

Table 4 in the standard gives the following ES1 limits: dc 60V ac up to 1kHz 30Vrms 42.4Vpk ac 1kHz to 100kHz 30Vrms + 0.4 f ac above 100kHz 70Vrms

for ES2 the limits are: dc 120V ac up to 1kHz 50Vrms 70.7 pk ac 1kHz to 100kHz 50Vrms + 0.9 f ac above 100kHz 140Vrms

For ordinary persons, the following shall not be accessible: – bare parts at ES2, except for the pins of connectors. However, such pins shall not be accessible under normal operating conditions by the blunt probe of Figure V.3

For audio signals, table E.1 applies: When classifying audio signals (see Table E.1), the equipment shall be operated to deliver maximum non-clipped output power into its rated load impedance. The load is removed and the electrical energy source class is determined from the resulting open-circuit output voltage. For ordinary (uninstructed) persons ES1: 0-70Vrms No safeguard necessary ES2: 71-120Vrms Insulated terminals marked with ISO7000 exclamation mark in triangle or instructional safeguard for uninsulated parts of terminals and bare wiring indicating that touching uninsulated terminals or wiring may result in an unpleasant sensation.

At even higher voltages (ES3) there are more stringent insulation requirements.

Just to be clear about what devices this standard applies to: This part of IEC 62368 is applicable to the safety of electrical and electronic equipment within the field of audio, video, information and communication technology, and business and office machines with a rated voltage not exceeding 600 V.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

Test stop 21:18 so 4.63 hours. Still longer than I would expect.

Reply to
Pancho

That amp used ±50V DC for the rails which eqautes to 28V AC.

Its unusual to go much above that as it represents the limits of reasonably priced semiconductor power devices.

In bridge mode that could be 400W into 4ohm. Not many speakers will handle that.

Even a 4x12 unit or a 2x15 bass cab cant take much more than that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That would be silly, just make use of a car 12v LED directly.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

A lot of car starter power banks come with an inbuilt led torch. However one thing to consider is some of the higher power LED torches can get rather warm in prolonged use.

How much light do you you require? I have a 2W LED up-lighter in one of my rooms and although possibly not enough light to easily read a book by it illuminates all of my room and everything in it can be seen. I have a emergency light wired in my landing and the small green charging LED (probably less than 1/8 Watt) provides enough illumination to dimly light my way to the bathroom

Reply to
alan_m

Facts :) Find out what the ratings actually are.

Your options:

  1. Battery (eg 3.7v), ballast, LED die
  2. battery bank outputting 5v, ballast, LED
  3. 12v battery, 12v LED bulb
  4. Battery, mains inverter, mains LED bulb
  5. Tiny model stirling engine, pmdc generator, transformer ballast, moore's tube.
Reply to
Animal

In some of the adverts I've seen, they also tell you how many times it will charge an iPad or a laptop before running dry. And typically it only recharges a major consumer item about twice, before running out.

Now, something this size, would keep a light on for a few days. If you could find one manufactured locally, maybe the markup would not be so high.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Look at a Quad 50. One of the first 100v line solid state amps. Used an output transformer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Same principle as - I read at the weekend a US campaign leaflet made the claim that the other candidate was found with 1000 mg of some drug in his possession?

Reply to
Scott

On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 09:57:01 +0000, alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk>

wrote: [snip]

Stop the press - results now available.

I got the lamp on Saturday. It comes with a USB plug (no charger). I attached it to a 10,000 mAh power bank. It runs for about 8 hours on full power. It's a desk lamp, so perfectly adequate for reading in bed or elsewhere during a blackout.

Two observations: (1) It interferes badly with my DAB alarm radio. As the latter will not be working during a power cut, this does not matter; (2) The LED bulb flickers every minute or so when switched off. I don't know if this is incompatibility with my choice of power supply or just a feature of LEDs. Again, this is not a problem as I can just unplug it when not in use.

Reply to
Scott

The best thing for that is a head torch. Bill

Reply to
wrights...

Best thing for that is a kindle paperwhite.

Reply to
Rod Speed

If it interferes badly with your DAB radio that suggests its putting out a lot of RFI (Radio frequency interference). There are standards for RFI in the UK, and I'll be surprised if one putting out enough to kill DAB passes. I wonder if it passes all the safety standards?

(you reminded me BTW to make sure my car jump starter pack is charged. It has a built-in torch which might be handy!)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I think it was because the radio was about two inches away. Is it not also possible that the radio is is to blame for not passing RFI rejection standards?

Always happy to assist :-)

Reply to
Scott