Powerbank / USB question

I was given a Kindle about eight years ago. Is it likely to be okay now, if I can find it?

Reply to
Scott

Possibly, plug it in to charge and leave it for a day (or more) and see if it comes to life.

Reply to
Chris Green

I borrow books from my local Scottish library with my Kindle.

Reply to
S Viemeister

If it's just a basic Kindle, you'll need a book light, too, which I find rather annoying, compared to using my PaperWhite. The new Kindles, and all the Kindle PaperWhites, self-illuminate.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I think officially 1 amp is the max current of standard USB sockets. Even that seems to be pushing it a bit in my view. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'd assumed he knew that but you can get much bigger ones with multiple sockets. Call me old fashioned but despite the inefficiency, a good set of lead Acid leisure batteries an invertors some charging apparatus that does it from multiple local sources or the mains with some low voltage outlets too seems more versatile to me. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

What is your view on USB type C sockets allowing up to 5A at 48V ?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Not anymore.

Nope.

Reply to
Rod Speed

What about software and stuff? I know support falls away with iPads and Android, for example.

Reply to
Scott

Doesn't really matter, My wife has a very ancient Kindle which still works fine with downloaded Amazon books. It can of course still read PDFs and such as well.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, I think it varies from local authority to local authority. Also things have got better since I bought my Kobo, I think.

When you say "I borrow books from my local Scottish library with my Kindle" how does it work? My Kobo just synchronises with my library and any borrowed books appear on the Kobo. I can do the borrowing on a computer or on the Kobo.

Reply to
Chris Green

I believe USB2 is 500mA, USB3 (in its many incarnations) can be a lot more but there are so many variations there isn't really one definitive value.

Reply to
Chris Green

I'll look into it. Nothing to lose.

Reply to
Scott

Is there a fine for late return :-)

Reply to
Scott

When I saw the spec now mentioned voltages of up to 50.9V (48V + a 5% tolerance) I was left wondering if there were implications for touch voltages in domestic installations. E.g. if a USB socket tests just over 50V?

Reply to
Robin

Apart from the risk of injury, is there also a risk of damaging the equipment by touching the live part of the socket?

Reply to
Scott

Ha ha. The book just disappears from your reader at the end of the borrowing period (or at least that's what happens on my Kobo).

Reply to
Chris Green

The 'a lot more' is by negotiation, I don't think there should ever be more than 5v when nothing is connected.

Reply to
Chris Green

The trick is that 20,000mAh is the lifetime capacity, ie keep recharging and using it and it'll give that amount in total till it packs up :-)

Reply to
Clive Arthur

The higher voltages need to be negotiated, so they will not be present without anything being plugged in. John

Reply to
John Walliker