Power sockets with 3 cables

But in this case, as it was described by the OP, there is one very short spur from the Wago connector to the first socket, then a continuation of the same spur from the first socket to the second socket. One of the sockets is described as being a double, the other has as far as I can see not been defined yet. This means there are either three or four sockets from a single spur. It may not actually matter, but surely this does not comply with the wiring regs?

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Why don't sockets have a system where a plate is tightened down on the wire or wires like we used to see in terminal blocks of old. I'd have though that was a more positive method, since you would have to have the space for all three in such a socket. No not seen any either. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think it was Jeff rather than the OP that introduced the concept of using a wago...

For the purposes of this discussion there is no distinction between a double or single socket... an unfused spur can feed one single or one double no more. (this rule offers overload protection to the spur cable, while the circuit protective device continues to offer fault protection to the spur cable).

Not sure how you get to three or four, or am I missing your point somewhere?

Reading Jeff's post again he does make reference to a three way wago, doing it that way you would need to take care with the topology to arrive at a fully compliant solution.

So:

Line In -> socket -> line out -> wago T1 wago T2 -> line out to next socket on ring wago t3 -> line out to spur

That will result in the original socket being connected to the ring in the traditional way with only two wires per terminal, the wago also being on the ring with three terminals, two of which provide ring continuity, and the third can connect to the spur feeding one single or double socket.

Reply to
John Rumm

There are for sockets, but they don't mandate the size and capacity of the terminals beyond being adequate.

IME modern socket terminals are easier to wire than older ones, especially the type with rectangular recesses. That way the width of the recess can be a fairly close match to the width of the terminal screw, and so its much easier to clamp a single wire without risk of it slipping out to the side from under the screw, but you also have plenty of capacity for 4 x 2.5mm^2 wires due to the length of the recess.

Reply to
John Rumm

Why do you always post contradictions that have no relevance to what you are posting about rod?

Just because the hole is big enough doesn't mean they are designed to do something.

Its so you can fit three or more cables in.

Reply to
invalid

All copper cables work harden.

What about the other cables or are you just talking about a spur? How do you check?

No need on a spur either.

Reply to
invalid

Yes.

I meant that two twin sockets would be a total of four sockets, but as you say it doesn't matter.

That was what I was trying to say, but not doing a very good job!

That looks good, but is different to my interpretation of what Jeff wrote. I think we actually agree!

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

don't think I've ever had that happen. Being nicked by cutters can do it, but not bending it over, even if then pliered tight.

I don't think so. Don't think I've ever encountered any vibrating wall sockets either.

Or fold the cable end over. Seems more sensible to me anyway.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It then needs to be wide enough for all the cables though doesn't it? I agree, I prefer the type you describe as well but often have the problem that the wires get the wrong side of the plate.

Reply to
Chris Green

Surely BS1363 applies, whether that covers the size of terminals I don't know though.

Reply to
Chris Green

Roger Hayter laid this down on his screen :

Never a good idea with modern cables. Just push each wire in, one at a time and tighten the terminal screw.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

dennis@home explained on 17/10/2019 :

Folding works fine, where there is only one wire to go in the terminal and the hole is too large. Idea is to fill up the hole, to promote best contact between wire, terminal and screw.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I only have the 2003 edition:

"11.5 Line and neutral terminals in fixed socket-outlets shall permit the connection, without special preparation, of one, two or three 2.5 mm2 solid or stranded or of one or two 4 mm2 stranded conductors.

11.5.1 Compliance shall be checked by inspection and by fitting the appropriate conductors.

11.6 Earthing terminals in fixed socket-outlets shall permit the connection, without special preparation, of one, two or three 1.5 mm2 or

2.5 mm2 solid or stranded or of one or two 4 mm2 stranded conductors.

11.6.1 Compliance shall be checked by inspection and fitting the appropriate conductors."

Of course fitting 3 x 2.5mm on the bench in good light with freshly stripped new cable may be a bit different from replacing a socket on old cable with bugger all slack, with a permanent wave, inside a cupboard.

Reply to
Robin

It happens that Dave Plowman (News) formulated :

+1
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

dennis@home pretended :

True, but only if they are 'worked', as in continually flexed. In a normal fixed installation cables do not become work hardened.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com laid this down on his screen :

Never come across that!

Obviously, if they are twisted then the diameter will be increased due to the bunching. It will also make them more prone to breakage due to the stress of twisting. If they don't break on first installation, they certainly will if they have to be disconnected and reconnected after testing - never twist them.

Twisting used to be necessary with the old Imperial stranded sizes, but even then strands would often break.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I think the terminal specs. are deliberately tight to stop people inserting four 2.5mm2 cables in and creating two spurs off one socket. I do seem to recall terminals used to be wider maybe back in the day when stranded wires were used or maybe with age they look smaller these days?

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

well get a short back and sides then!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's because he is a lonely troll, killfiled by many (and hence all the aliases) and because he is mostly ignored, has taken on a 'peanut gallery' approach, mostly for his own entertainment.

It's similar with whisky-dave, other than at least he's posting from this country (even if he's from a different planet). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You can do it using an rectangular terminal recess, where the width matches the scree diameter - so its not easy for wires to be "missed" by the screw, but the length still allows for plenty of wires.

These GET Ultimate ones I find are easy to get 4 wires into:

John Rumm