Power shower problems

I've recently fitted a power shower for a friend (I know, I should have run a mile...)

It's one of those all in one wall mount showers that basically takes tank pressure hot and cold feeds and pumps them to the head, with a non- thermostatic mixer. Sort of like the separate pump and mixer type, but all in one box over the bath. It was a replacement for an existing one of the same type but different make.

However... although it appears to work at first, it won't go hotter than lukewarm even though the hot feed is *hot*.

After talking to the Creda techies, it loks like it's quite sensitive to (a) flow and (b) balanced pressure on the hot and cold feeds.

The cold is a 22mm feed from the header tank then a 15mm drop inside the wall to the shower. The hot is a 22mm feed from the top of the cylinder, down under the floor then along to the head of the bath, then a 15mm feed back from there along the bath and up the wall to the shower - obviously losing a noticeable amount of pressure on the way compared to the cold.

I was thinking that to put this right, I'll need to run a more direct feed from the top take off of the cylinder direct to the shower. Unfortunately the cylinder is in a cupboard across the landing from the bathroom, so a level pipe run is impossible.

If I run 22mm up to the loft and across, then drop 15mm to the shower, that will be almost exactly the same path as the cold takes. *Except* for the lift from the tank to the loft.

Before I start hacking it all about to do that, I thought I'd check with you lot whether you think that will work?

Reply to
PCPaul

Have you tried throttling back the cold feed rate a little by turning down its isolation valve? i.e. drop the dynamic pressure to the cold a tad.

Reply to
John Rumm

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

Backing up John's comment, try running it with hot only - ie turn of cold isolator - and then the other way round and see if there is a pressure feed problem. How long does it take to fill a 5 litre bucket, etc.?

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

Yes I did - but it had to be almost down to off before it made much difference, at which point the pump started to starve..

Both feeds have the usual ball type isolating valves on them as well -I was wondering how much restriction they put on compared to full bore lever valves - between that and replacing speedfit plastic pipes with copper, could that make a significant difference?

Reply to
PCPaul

I have a similar unit though mine is Showerforce and under the main control knob is a moveable stop that you can set so as to restrict the lever movement towards the hot side in doing that restricts the hot water in. Worth a check Trevor Smith

Reply to
Trevor Smith

Reply to
Tim Downie

For a power shower I would have thought that you'd really want full bore valves. Trying to suck through your standard "cheapie" ball valve is bound to mess with the output.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

If you have not taken the hot feed off the top of the cylinder strictly in accordance with the manufactures fitting instructions then it is very likely that not enough water is being drawn into the pump due to sucking air fron the open vent.

Fitting a Surrey or an Essex flange can usually be an answer to this problem.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

It isn't, like I said it's from the hot bath tap. *But* the previous shower which was the same type did work successfully, so I thought I had a chance. Wrong.

Can I tee off the 22mm pipe already coming from the top of the tank for the DHW supply? I suppose the main point I need an answer to is: can I tee off there, go straight up to the loft (but staying below the bottom of the cold header tank), then across and down to the shower?

Will there be enough pressure in the system to get the hot flowing up and over successfully, or does it lose it in going over the top? Will the pump pull hot through, or will it just create a vacuum and starve the pump?

Reply to
PCPaul

They only cost a pound or so more - why do people use the cheapie type at all?

How about speedfit plastic pipes - are they much worse than copper?

Reply to
PCPaul

OK I re-read your original post and though it does'nt mention the hot tap it does seem to infer it

The manufactuers fitting instructions probably prefer Surrey or Essex flange fitting. However, they may show diagrams of pipework configuations and indicate how and where these can be connected to. If you cannot connect as shown it is likely to be a waste of time.

As long as the pipework runs at a lower level than the cold storage tank then there should be no problem.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

Some of this will depend on how much power the pump has. Some of these "all in one" wall mounting jobbies are fairly low pressure anyway and often work in quite "non optimal" configurations - but only deliver underwhelming results when working.

The more powerful the pump the more important the "correct" plumbing becomes.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm expecting this to be only 'adequate' - I like a can-only-barely-stand- up-under-it shower myself, but this isn't for me.

I gather from Creda that matching the input pressures is more important for it to work satisfactorily than anything else, so that's what I'm mostly fussed about.

Reply to
PCPaul