Power floating old concrete

Present workshop has a concrete floor which wasn't power floated when it was poured. (Not sure if I am using the right terminology. I'm talking about that very smooth, powder free, almost glossy finish often seen in warehouses etc.)

Any way to achieve this finish now on the floor which most be 18 years old at this stage ?

I had thought about self leveling cement but I have heavy machinery which I move about now and then and my experience of self leveling cement was that it wasn't very strong and tended to crumble.

Any other suggestions ?

About 25 sq mtrs involved.

Any method of doing it piecemeal would be appreciated as I don't fancy having to pull everything out in one go.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
fred

I would have thought that you have two viable options with a simple 3rd:

1) Big assed diamond based concrete polisher which are hireable. If the old concrete is tough, in principle you could polish it up to quite smooth. If the concrete is a bit friable, it may well start crumbling on the surface though. Conjecture - have not tried. 2) Top it with some self levelling compound and paint it. This may be unsuitable for your needs depending on load (you said workshop - does that = big heavy machines?) 25m2 will need about 6-8 25kg bags of SLC for a 3-4mm topping. 3) What about just painting it? Epoxy paint for extra toughness (and more moths to your wallet but it will last). Need to be quick, but it's easy to apply (roller on 5' long ceiling type roller handle so you can work standing up. Mix, pour the lot down on a wiggly stream over the whole area then get to work with the roller double quick. I did an epoxy DPM (similar stuff) over 21m2 single handed in one go per coat (2 coats) and it came out perfect; just a matter of thinking it through and having everything to hand, no time for faffing.
Reply to
Tim Watts

What is your objective in powerfloating? If it is to get a smooth dust free surface I can recommend the approach I've used in my last three workshops, namely to lay 18mm OSB3 on the as laid concrete, and hold it down with 2 1/2" No 10 screws on a 24 inch matrix. Overpainted with floor paint it is a very durable surface that is good to work on. I have large machinery (Mills lathes EDM machines etc) each weighing a few tons which have been moved about on it several times. My fork lift truck weighs in at 4 ton and that is in and out like a fiddlers elbow with no problems. Important to use OSB3 as that is the damp resistant variety.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I have used one of these:

(But on new concrete) It left a smooth finish, that I then painted.

You will probably need extra carbide inserts, as they do get used up.

Alan.

Reply to
AlanD

If I had a new floor, I'd want it power floated. Just to get a chance to drive one of those "concrete hovercraft" that have two rotating paddles, no other supports, and tank-like joystick steering. They look like as much fun to drive as a mini-digger.

Otherwise for a smooth concrete floor, paint it. Epoxy isn't cheap, but it's strong for machinery, seals the surface to leave it nice and smooth and I bet it's still cheaper than a polishing machine.

Reply to
Andy Dingley