Pour-in rollers

Anybody here got experience of the kind of roller where you take off the end-cap and pour the paint inside? I have heard good reports from a bloke in the pub, but he believes in fairies too. :o) I hate rollers as I get a stippled effect and that's on me.

Reply to
Jim S

I have used one for years. It's fine if used properly but a bit heavy if on the end of a pole for ceilings.

Mine is triangular. One way the paint is at the top an gravity pulls it out, the other way the tank is down and the paint stays inside. So you have to turn it up or down occasionally.

Reply to
EricP

Are we talking about the same thing>

See here

Jim S

controlling the flow of paint. Also the paint viscosity would be critical. Too fluid and it pours out faster than you can roll it off. Too stiff and it never comes out.

Reply to
EricP

Use paint pads

Reply to
Angela

There is already a thread on here, started by JoRoCo on 19/04/08, search for Paint Rollers - Reservoir Type I use paint runners as they make such a nice finish to my paintwork, I have just finished painting my lounge walls & ceilings with no dustsheets and not a drop was spilt :-) Franko.

Reply to
Franko

I like the stippled effect - it enhances the matt finish.

Reply to
John

That's what I do currently, but I'm open to persuasion

FWIW I have 11ft high ceilings, a stepladder, 2 pads, a telescopic pole and a wife. Once I'm up the ladder the wife ensures the second pad is loaded with paint and when the first is done she attaches the full one while I stay up the ladder. I expect there may be an alternative to a wife, but you take what is to hand.

Reply to
Jim S

What's a paint runner?

Reply to
Jim S

You need to select the type of roller for the surface you are painting, short/medium/long pile and be careful how fast your roll it. Too fast and any roller will spatter. I don't object to the slight stippled effect as has been said it helps to hide minor surface blemishes and enhances the matt finish. Shiny walls are awful, IMHO, but each to their own.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Look here

Franko

Reply to
Jim S

I use a small roller for painting walls and ceilings - it is sold as a radiator roller. I started doing this when I had a lot of rooms to decorate at once and experienced extreme fatigue from the effort of using a normal sized roller. I thought of using the small roller I had just bought to paint behind the radiators, and it worked!

The small roller is very fast to use and leaves a good finish. It is easily replenished in seconds from a roller tray. Its lightness means I don't suffer fatigue and the standard radiator roller frame is long enough for me to reach much further from one ladder position than when using a standard roller.

My present house has low ceilings and I have painted most of them entirely from floor level. You might expect the speed of working to be slower with a small roller, but it isn't. I think it saves a lot of time. At the end of the job, the roller can be washed up very quickly and easily, something that cannot ever be said of a traditional roller.

It may not be for everyone, but it certainly works for me.

Reply to
Bruce

Wonderful. So not only do you have to hold a heavy roller, but up to a litre of paint too!

Not for me, thanks. I will stick to my trusty radiator roller.

Reply to
Bruce

And I'll stick with the wife

Reply to
Jim S

You're a very lucky man.

My partner won't touch a roller, although she is far better with a paintbrush than I am. We work well as a team. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

I suffer with a constantly painful following an operation some years back to remove some discs, rolling ceilings is very painful for me with the constant up & down to refresh a roller. The paint runner is obviously a bit heavier than a standard roller because of the paint it carries but you don't have to fill it right to the top. I find that I can paint a 4m X 5m ceiling with just one refill of the runner in about 30mins with no stooping to refresh roller - with a standard roller it takes me about half a day :-( Not forgetting the fact that there is NO splatter and the finish is perfect. Franko.

Reply to
Franko

Sorry, meant to say painful spine.

Reply to
Franko

Or that marvellous new invention, brushes.

MM

Reply to
MM