Porch conversion, do I need a second door.

Not convinced. There was certainly some regulation (local?) in 1960 that stated (or at least suggested) exactly the same. What was in place before Building Regulations? Any bet that they were word for word copies of earlier regulations?

Reply to
John Cartmell

You probably did. In 1964 building work was governed by local Byelaws. Most Local Authorities applied a standard set of rules but were free to make their own variations if they wanted. The 1966 Building Regs were based on these standard rules.

Thinking about all this takes me right back to my days at Tech College!

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Bathroom is not a 'habitable room'

Reply to
DJC

Hi Christian, thats exactly what I've been looking for. Great, no problems there. Two windows in the Bathroom, each 1 meter square.

If I may, I would like to follow up with another question, which I'm now unsure about. There are two bedrooms upstairs, each with a tiny window which not eve a child could press throug. The stairs are made of wood. So if a fire starts in the hall, there is now escape....

I read the rest of the building regulations, but couldn't make out th relevant part. Can you give me an hint? Regard's Erec

-- tfc715

Reply to
tfc715

Do remember these are English regulations, not Scottish.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure if bathrooms are habitable anyway, so they might not even need escape windows.

2.7 Except for kitchens, all habitable rooms in the upper storey(s) of a house served by only one stair should be provided with a window (or external door) which complies with paragraph 2.11.

Note: A single window can be accepted to serve two rooms provided both rooms have their own access to the stairs. A communicating door between the rooms must be provided so that it is possible to gain access to the window without passing through the stair enclosure.

Your two upstairs rooms with tiny opening windows would not be acceptable under English building regulations if built today unless they each had a communicating door with a separate adjacent room which had an escape window.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle