Do I need to get the BCO out to change a front door?

Firstly Happy New Year to all...

Been thinking about changing our front door for a while.

Basically we have two front doors, in the sense that we have a porch "extension" and then the original front door. I want to change the inner original door. The current inner door is a pretty standard "hardwood" one.

I am thinking of a uPVC one mainly to give a beeter draft proof seal.

Now I know that I need BCO / building regs approval and a BCO visit (inc the cost of this :-( )to change windows, but do I need this if I change a door.

If I were to change the door for another hardwood one, I would have guessed I do not need a BCO visit, but what about uPVC ?

Anybody in the know about the current regs

Cheers

DeeBee

Reply to
DeeBee

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:34:11 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named DeeBee randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

If the 'porch' is an exempt porch (ie, an 'unheated' extension to the front of the building), and the 'inner' door has or will have more than 50% of the door glazed, then yes, a Building Regulations application will be required as per replacement windows if the company fitting it isn't FENSA-registered. OTOH, how likely is it ever to come to light, and not be able to be regularised if it does?

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Plus, how many BCOs want to come out to change front doors anyway?

I'm sure most are plenty busy enough with the day job ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

And that's the _game keeper_ talking.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:47:21 +0000, a particular chimpanzee named Ed Sirett randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

In a completely un-official (and hopefully untraceable) capacity.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Pardon my asking, but having read this am I correct in saying that you have to notify the council if you're changing an outside door or window now?

I wasn't aware of this, how long has this been the case?

Reply to
Dark Angel

Certainly for windows you do, however if the company fitting it is FENSA-registered, you do not need to, thats how I read Hugo Nebula's post - am I correct in this assumtion Hugo?

The changes to the building regs came in with Part L I think a few years ago. SAe situation for electrical wiring with the now famous Part P introduced this time last yera !

DeeBee

Reply to
DeeBee

It would be fair to say this sounds like a fairly unclever move, and in many cases will reduce house value. Suggest fitting proper draughtproofing to your quality hardwood door. And if its painted, use linseed based paint in future.

NT

Reply to
meow2222